HELP! Theres something wrong with Smudge!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the help. I'm guessing you all know what to expect from this post. She didn't make it. I put her in the kennel before going to bed, but heard her flapping one more time before I tried to fall asleep. Went down stares and she started squawking. I took her out into the shop, and even though I haven never killed anything, I was going to cull her. I was ready, but she did it for me.
All of the symptoms were so sudden, and don't add up. It didn't seem to be paralysis, since she could still use her legs, she just couldn't control them. She lost all coordination in the end. Her pupils were dilated which is a symptoms of Mareks disease. I'm just not sure what to guess, and I really want to know what happened. I put her in a cooler on a small amount of ice last night, as not to get her to cold. Anyone have links to a state lab I could look into? I would do it myself, but like @Eggcessive said I assumed I wouldn't' be able to see Mareks on my own.
Thanks again for everyones help, the only regret I have is not culling her sooner. I wish I wouldn't have held back. Thanks again, I'll keep you updated on what I decide to do from here, and what I see from the necropsy wether either way I decide to do that.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the help. I'm guessing you all know what to expect from this post. She didn't make it. I put her in the kennel before going to bed, but heard her flapping one more time before I tried to fall asleep. Went down stares and she started squawking. I took her out into the shop, and even though I haven never killed anything, I was going to cull her. I was ready, but she did it for me.
All of the symptoms were so sudden, and don't add up. It didn't seem to be paralysis, since she could still use her legs, she just couldn't control them. She lost all coordination in the end. Her pupils were dilated which is a symptoms of Mareks disease. I'm just not sure what to guess, and I really want to know what happened. I put her in a cooler on a small amount of ice last night, as not to get her to cold. Anyone have links to a state lab I could look into? I would do it myself, but like @Eggcessive said I assumed I wouldn't' be able to see Mareks on my own.
Thanks again for everyones help, the only regret I have is not culling her sooner. I wish I wouldn't have held back. Thanks again, I'll keep you updated on what I decide to do from here, and what I see from the necropsy wether either way I decide to do that.
:hugs

To me this appears to be organ failure where affected animals (and humans too) would drown because of the fluid building up in their lungs.
This condition is a well known cause of death for CornishX and similar hybrid meat birds.

If she was my bird, I would put her out of her misery.

I am sorry that you will not be able to save her. She already surpassed by far the average life expectancy of her breed.
Thank you, I would be relieved if this was the case, knowing it wasn't something that could endanger my other birds.
If you look at my next post, she died not to long after I put her in the kennel last night. One thing I have learned from this, is follow your gut. Don't hold back on culling just because, you don't want to except it. 😔 Thank you so much, I'll keep everyone updated on how some kind of necropsy goes.

There was a small chance she would recover. It’s ok you didn’t cull, you would have done it when it got bad. Don’t beat yourself up, your girl is happy now that she isn’t sick and you did the right thing.

Thank you, I would be relieved if this was the case, knowing it wasn't something that could endanger my other birds.
If you look at my next post, she died not to long after I put her in the kennel last night. One thing I have learned from this, is follow your gut. Don't hold back on culling just because, you don't want to except it. 😔 Thank you so much, I'll keep everyone updated on how some kind of necropsy goes.
To have her necropsied will give you reassurance, I hope that nothing contagious will be found.

There was a small chance she would recover. It’s ok you didn’t cull, you would have done it when it got bad. Don’t beat yourself up, your girl is happy now that she isn’t sick and you did the right thing.
Thank you, I appreciate all the support, this never gets easier. This forum really is the best. Thank you again. 💕

To have her necropsied will give you reassurance, I hope that nothing contagious will be found.
Agreed. I need some closure. I would be interested to do it myself, since I am interested in the veterinary field in the future, and think it would be an interesting experience. Organ failure would likely show up on an at home necropsy, would poisoning or toxin intake show up? I don't think it is Mareks disease after reviewing the symptoms, so may do the necropsy myself.

Got it, I'll try this.

Another update: She definitely can't see, she's stretching her neck trying to look around, and seems throughly confused as to why she is blind. She has fight for sure though. She drank water when I dipped her beak, and snapped at the water on her own once as well. I also moved her into the kitchen, so she can be warm. I'll try calcium now.

Symptoms-

Blindness
Can't use legs
Wet/white droppings on her back side
Pulsing vent

New Symptoms

Tail down

I think this might be an egg issue, I would be really surprised if it was poisoning, I can't imagine anything could have gotten in their pen.
A vitamin A deficiency can cause blindness, in some cases.

Other Symptoms of Vitamin A Deficiency include:

Nasal, & Ocular Discharge.

Tiredness

Poor Feathering

Poor Growth(Chicks)

Pale Comb, & Wattles

Eye lids stuck together with thick goop.

Vitamin E Deficiency causes Paralysis, muscular dystrophy, weakness, & Ataxia. Death is usually followed if not treated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom