HELP! Theres something wrong with Smudge!

I drew a picture of smudge for you.:oops:
3C227A85-CFC3-4D6E-B5B9-5D4021F85BDC.jpeg

A vitamin A deficiency can cause blindness, in some cases.

Other Symptoms of Vitamin A Deficiency include:

Nasal, & Ocular Discharge.

Tiredness

Poor Feathering

Poor Growth(Chicks)

Pale Comb, & Wattles

Eye lids stuck together with thick goop.

Vitamin E Deficiency causes Paralysis, muscular dystrophy, weakness, & Ataxia. Death is usually followed if not treated.
Interesting. How do they get a vitamin A deficiency? I've been feeding Kalmbach 18% chick starter, plantain on switching to layer when they start laying. I'll link the feed. Would a vitamin deficiency be able to be diagnosed in an at home necropsy? I think I would rather go that route.
Her feather quality wasn't prefect, but it also the time of year were everyone is molting, so I was blaming it on that. She didn't have the eye goop symptom, no pale comb or wattles, and didn't have nasal or ocular discharge until about an hour before death.

Time is of the essence with a state necropsy. The sooner after death the body is refrigerated (not frozen) and taken in or shipped overnight to the state lab, the better the results. You should call right away to discuss the details, because the office is open during business hours M-F. Many state labs will email you a prepaid shipping label if you cannot drive the body to them. It is always good to know these options way in advance of when you need to make a decision.

I think I've decided to do it myself. I'd be interested in the experience, but the way her symptoms are adding up I don't think it is Mareks. I also don't have a styprophone cooler to ship her in, and I won't be able to get one until we head to town next on Wednesday. Which will be too late. Organ failure seems likely, her being a Cornish X, and I'm hoping its something I can diagnose by posting pictures here. Thank you everyone, I'll do it this afternoon and get a live thread going. Thanks again.

I think I've decided to do it myself. I'd be interested in the experience, but the way her symptoms are adding up I don't think it is Mareks. I also don't have a styprophone cooler to ship her in, and I won't be able to get one until we head to town next on Wednesday. Which will be too late. Organ failure seems likely, her being a Cornish X, and I'm hoping its something I can diagnose by posting pictures here. Thank you everyone, I'll do it this afternoon and get a live thread going. Thanks again.

Not sure if this was posted yet. @Wyorp Rock gave me this when I was doing a necropsy.

Sorry about Smudge, you took real good care of her! :(

Good luck!

Not sure if this was posted yet. @Wyorp Rock gave me this when I was doing a necropsy.

Sorry about Smudge, you took real good care of her! :(

Good luck!
Thank you, that video hadn't been posted, but I did watch it earlier. It was very informative and helpful. Thank you for posting it. :)

Agreed. I need some closure. I would be interested to do it myself, since I am interested in the veterinary field in the future, and think it would be an interesting experience. Organ failure would likely show up on an at home necropsy, would poisoning or toxin intake show up? I don't think it is Mareks disease after reviewing the symptoms, so may do the necropsy myself.

Here is some information on poisonings in poultry:
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/poisonings/poisonings-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom