Help, this quail has been picked at

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
I was moving the brooder to outside today and noticed one of the quail was hiding at the corner and her head was bloody
I separated her from the others. She seems to be fine except occasionally closed one of her eyes

I'm gonna keep her inside till she heals
I can't really tell the damage on her head. Doesn't seem to have open wound or anything

Can I put her back to the cage after or will she be picked at again

How do I stop it

Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20220824_012649227.jpg
    PXL_20220824_012649227.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 18
This use to happpen to some of our quail. What i would do is wait till it heals and the feathers grow back before you put her back. I have noticed that even if it is just the skin some quails will continue pecking it.

How many males do you have and how many females? How large is their living space? If you have too many males, they will fight, get each other bloody, and likely the weaker one(s) will be killed.

Usually you only keep one male per pen and he should have three to five females. You can have more than one male, but the pen needs to be large for that to have a chance of working.

How many males do you have and how many females? How large is their living space? If you have too many males, they will fight, get each other bloody, and likely the weaker one(s) will be killed.

Usually you only keep one male per pen and he should have three to five females. You can have more than one male, but the pen needs to be large for that to have a chance of working.
They are about 6 weeks old. I haven't figured out how many of each yet. But I definitely have more male than female and I was going to get a bunch of females from someone but he sold them to someone else
Now I'm trying to find another source

Is there a easier way to tell the gender beside vent sex ? I am having hard time hold them down 😂

They are about 6 weeks old. I haven't figured out how many of each yet. But I definitely have more male than female and I was going to get a bunch of females from someone but he sold them to someone else
Now I'm trying to find another source

Is there a easier way to tell the gender beside vent sex ? I am having hard time hold them down 😂
There are colours that are feather sexable. If yours are, you can post pictures of their chests, and we can help you. Whites, tuxedos, and silvers are some that are not feather sexable.

It sounds like you are going to start seeing blood soon unless your enclosure is very large.

There are colours that are feather sexable. If yours are, you can post pictures of their chests, and we can help you. Whites, tuxedos, and silvers are some that are not feather sexable.

It sounds like you are going to start seeing blood soon unless your enclosure is very large.
My understanding is that females has dots on their chests right ?
Ppl here wher I live only sell straight run 😭😭
I'm gonna ask see if I can get a few pictures of them and If I can pick out a few females

My understanding is that females has dots on their chests right ?
Ppl here wher I live only sell straight run 😭😭
I'm gonna ask see if I can get a few pictures of them and If I can pick out a few females
Yes, the hens will have spots, the males will have red/rust on the breast. There are others that are feather sexable that you can tell by face and head markings, though.

Yes, the hens will have spots, the males will have red/rust on the breast. There are others that are feather sexable that you can tell by face and head markings, though.
Okay I'm gonna ask see if they can take some pictures for me so I can try my best to pick out the females with you guys help :)

Back
Top Bottom