HELP!!! TURKEY HEN PROLAPSED??

Pics
When the prolapse looks like your first post, the cloaca cannot function properly and pass stool. I'm just answering your question in the first post.

Now about how to heal her. I speed read a lot, a lot of threads on many web sites, about hens who were treated with prep H, and unfortunately most of them didn't survive. Those who recover after Prep H, recover in spite of it and not because of it. Do not use it, a prolapse is a different type of inflamed tissue than a hemorrhoid.

I used coconut oil, after cleaning with warm water. It worked for her first three episodes (spaced months apart).

When the prolapse looks like your first post, the cloaca cannot function properly and pass stool. I'm just answering your question in the first post.

Now about how to heal her. I speed read a lot, a lot of threads on many web sites, about hens who were treated with prep H, and unfortunately most of them didn't survive. Those who recover after Prep H, recover in spite of it and not because of it. Do not use it, a prolapse is a different type of inflamed tissue than a hemorrhoid.

I used coconut oil, after cleaning with warm water. It worked for her first three episodes (spaced months apart).
I will definitely not use that on her. And we can try to get some stuff tomorrow, makes me wonder what’s causing all this, the prolapse etc :(

I'm watching my turkey hen for a health emergency today too, you aren't alone it's so much harder to have an emergency with one of these guys because there is so little info. I recommend keeping some raw coconut oil on hand for all health emergencies. Animal and human, it's anti viral anti fungal anti bacterial and lubricates so it's not a cure all but it's a great first step. I wonder if feeding some might help with inflammation.

I have female turkey who has had a nasty back end for a bit her underneath feathers way down have been clumped with mud and poo and I’ve not been the best with keeping up with them or trimming them but it never affected her vent. For the last maybe 3 days or so I haven’t seen any normal droppings of solid poo, she just has been dripping a clear/ white liquid out. And teeny tiny baby piles of poo not turkey sized. So today I was trimming and cutting off all of those clumped feathers and looked since I saw odd drippings and found that she appears to be prolapsed and pushing hard and I’m not sure why :hit:hitshe also hasn’t laid since last July. Please help me. It’s almost dark here and clearly an emergency I don’t know why she’s pushing or what’s going onView attachment 1708646View attachment 1708647
At the risk of sounding like a novice... Is trimming standard upkeep?

Yes, usually they prolapse laying an egg, but you say no recent egg. :confused:

Weird question, but humor me. Are there oaks where you live?
Yeah she has not yet to lay an egg since last summer for whatever reason but should be ready to lay anytime since it is spring and my birthday other turkey hen on the other side of the property started laying about two months ago for this year.
And yes I do, why??

Back
Top Bottom