Help! Weird/Bad Noise coming from my FAV Chicken!

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! Please help! Pancake is one of my favorite chickens and she's started making a weird noise when breathing. She is eating and taking water and she does not have any discharge. I pulled her from the nest as I thought she was going broody (again) and as soon as I set her down, she started making this noise - which I thought she was doing because she was mad at me - but she's continued to make it. Here is a video of it: Noise from Pancake ...

Someone suggested there may be something stuck in her throat. I turned her upside down and patted her hard on her back between her shoulders. Nada. Anything else to do do dislodge?
Better open up her beak by gently tugging at her her wattles and take a look inside. there might be something stuck in her airways.

But this sound is also emitted, when having a larynx inflammation/infection.

Prepare some tea: oregano, sage, thyme and fennel with some aniseed. Let it steep for at least one hour and serve lukewarm.

How good is the ventilation in your coop now that the weather is finally warming up?

Last edited:
Better open up her beak by gently tugging at her her wattles and take a look inside. there might be something stuck in her airways.

But this sound is also emitted, when having a larynx inflammation/infection.

Prepare some tea: oregano, sage, thyme and fennel with some aniseed. Let it steep for at least one hour and serve lukewarm.

How good is the ventilation in your coop now that the weather is finally warming up?
@LaFleche - thank you. I did open up her mouth and can't see anything. I like the idea of a tea - I have all of the herbs. Ventilation is really good - all screens are off and the wind blows through nicely.

@LaFleche - thank you. I did open up her mouth and can't see anything. I like the idea of a tea - I have all of the herbs. Ventilation is really good - all screens are off and the wind blows through nicely.
They might need two solid adjoining walls to avoid draft.

Lots of ventilation is good, but they don't tolerate draft.

Do you live in a rather humid area where there will be lots of puddles for the chickens to drink from?

If you suspect gapeworm, when did you last deworm your chickens and what did you use?
I do not use a dewormer - I do have diatamaceous earth in their coop. She is the only one making this noise. I'm going to give her some VetRx but wondering about gapeworm. We've had a lot of rain lately and they are drinkig from puddles

I do not use a dewormer - I do have diatamaceous earth in their coop. She is the only one making this noise. I'm going to give her some VetRx but wondering about gapeworm. We've had a lot of rain lately and they are drinkig from puddles
DE or VetRx will not deworm infested chickens.

Get some Flubendazole 5% or SafeGuard Goat dewormer and you will rid them of worms in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom