Help went to clean the coop this morning and found white slimy stuff in the coop hanging

lilofthestars

Songster
8 Years
Oct 9, 2015
Good Morning

This morning I went to clean the coop and found white slimy stuff, which I have never seen before.
I have 2 dark Brahmas, born 2/17/16 . I read not to give them layers feed until 18 weeks, I waited til 20 weeks.
I have 2 older hens by a few months. I tried to give them the layers feed when I let them out to free range for the calcium, before hand.
Every once and a while they would grab a few pieces, when I turned my head but not that much at all. I feed them dry
worms sometimes. Organic bread to get them back in the coop. Water melon, sometimes blue berries. My husband gave them a little cabbage. They seem all to be eating and drinking. I read about ascites, and read humans can catch, no cure. They are young and I really
pray they are alright. My brahmas starting laying at 5 months 3 days old. The eggs were really small. Now yesterday one of the Brahmas
layed large egg double yoke. Which I thought was very unusual. If anybody has knowledge about this please write back.

I cleaned it up. It was on the top shelf.On the hardware wire is. It was clear and slimy, It looked like a icicle hanging down.My two younger bramas perch just above.

It sounds kind of like egg white. I wonder if an egg got busted and the chickens cleaned most of it up. Or, maybe one of them laid a soft shell egg?????

Ed

That is a great possibly. The day before one of my Dark 5 month old brahma laid a large two yoke egg. I remember one of the older hens when she stared laying she laid a really soft egg looked like a double shelled egg. Wow that makes me feel much better.They are so sweet. I did not want them to be sick.Never thought of that. What a great Web sight.

That is a great possibly. The day before one of my Dark 5 month old brahma laid a large two yoke egg. I remember one of the older hens when she stared laying she laid a really soft egg looked like a double shelled egg. Wow that makes me feel much better.They are so sweet. I did not want them to be sick.Never thought of that. What a great Web sight.

Watch your girls for any signs of lethargy, going off feed, etc., but if they are all eating, drinking, poop and active, the you should be fine.
Provide oyster shell free choice if don't already.
A little extra protein treats like mealworms, scrambled/boiled egg, mackerel or meat a couple of times a week may not hurt either.

Let us know if you find any more.

Thank you. I may be giving to many meal worms. I give them some almost.every day. I tried the Oster shells they will not eat.But they all Seem to be doing good..They have free rang in the am and pm. They are in a chicken tractor. 3 of the girls can not stand the heat. So We have a water mister in the coop. They can get a way from it if they want to . I am afraid to keep them out all day. We have hawks and sometimes dogs. They have around 3 to 5 hrs out a day.They are on layers pellets. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom