Help! What am I doing wrong?

leitnerjk

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
I have a Farm Innovators still air incubator and I have tried over 50 eggs in 3 different attempted hatches and only had two eggs hatch. One was healthy and one died after 3 days. I dont think this one fully absorbed its yolk. Candling at 5 days shows the eggs are fertile as they have begun to grow. After 25 or so days, I have done eggtopsys and I had one fully develop, internal pip, but no external pip. I had one fully developed and in the correct position but no pip at all. All of the others died before being a recognizable chick. Around day 5 to day 10 I think (day estimate just from forums I have read so if I am wrong please tell me).

Now for the process. The incubator is a styrofoam box with a heating element in the top with no fan. there is a humidity gauge and thermometer in the lid. There is a small tray for water in the bottom which we keep full. The thermometer in the lid reads 100* and there is also a glass thermo which is set at 99.5. We turn the eggs every day three times a day from x side to 0 side. The incubator is kept on the kitchen counter in the corner.

My hens are 1 to 2 years old. I have 4 BSL's, one RIR, 2 Buff Orps and 2 BR Roo X RIR Hen. The Roo is also a BR Roo X RIR Hen.

Any advice for a new hatcher? What am I doing wrong. All three hatches have been consistent with time and size of the embryo when it dies.

Thanks.

Josh

Last edited:
I have a Farm Innovators still air incubator and I have tried over 50 eggs in 3 different attempted hatches and only had two eggs hatch. One was healthy and one died after 3 days. I dont think this one fully absorbed its yolk. Candling at 5 days shows the eggs are fertile as they have begun to grow. After 25 or so days, I have done eggtopsys and I had one fully develop, internal pip, but no external pip. I had one fully developed and in the correct position but no pip at all. All of the others died before being a recognizable chick. Around day 5 to day 10 I think (day estimate just from forums I have read so if I am wrong please tell me).

Now for the process. The incubator is a styrofoam box with a heating element in the top with no fan. there is a humidity gauge and thermometer in the lid. There is a small tray for water in the bottom which we keep full. The thermometer in the lid reads 100* and there is also a glass thermo which is set at 99.5. We turn the eggs every day three times a day from x side to 0 side. The incubator is kept on the kitchen counter in the corner.

My hens are 1 to 2 years old. I have 4 BSL's, one RIR, 2 Buff Orps and 2 BR Roo X RIR Hen. The Roo is also a BR Roo X RIR Hen.
Any advice for a new hatcher? What am I doing wrong. All three hatches have been consistent with time and size of the embryo when it dies.

Thanks.

Josh
OK. Are you using a separate thermometer and hygrometer? I use the same bator, and lots of people have trouble with those. I have called the manufacturer and they told me that the readings on the bator will not be entirely accurate. They advised to use a separate thermometer and calibrated hygrometer. Also, on the still air bators, the temp. won't be consistent throughout the whole incubator. Are you rotating the eggs from the middle to the outside edges 2-3 times a day? That way 1 egg won't be sitting in a hot or cold spot the entire time.

Thanks for the reply. I am using the two thermometers that came with the unit. I guess I figured since they were within about a degree of eachother they were pretty accurate. I also tried a meat thermometer, but it was totally different than these two by about 6 degrees warmer. I tried a medical thermometer but it didn't like being laid flat inside the incubator ant the liquid just filled the entire tube no matter what the ambient temp was.

We are not moving the eggs around. they are staying in one place but being turned. I hope that isn't the problem since I intend to get an egg turner for it.

Josh

Thanks for the reply. I am using the two thermometers that came with the unit. I guess I figured since they were within about a degree of eachother they were pretty accurate. I also tried a meat thermometer, but it was totally different than these two by about 6 degrees warmer. I tried a medical thermometer but it didn't like being laid flat inside the incubator ant the liquid just filled the entire tube no matter what the ambient temp was.

We are not moving the eggs around. they are staying in one place but being turned. I hope that isn't the problem since I intend to get an egg turner for it.

Josh
I rotated my first hatch and had 9 out of 15 hatch. Then I got the egg turner and didn't rotate my second hatch. Only had 2 out of 12 to hatch. I'm setting more this Saturday and will rotate those. I also got a really cheap household thermometer from Wal-Mart. It also reads the humidity. That's what I go buy. I place it in the back of the bator right behind the heater.

do you think if I put a small 80 or 120 mm computer fan inside it it would help even out the temp?

What would my control be for the test? As it is nothing is working. I dont really have a way to measure the temp any better than what I am. Have you had any luck with one of those digital electronic units? Are they calibrated/accurate enough?

Josh

Brinsea spot check is supposed to be a great thermometer... Also some people put water wigglers in their incubators and measure the temperature reading when a probe thermometer is inserted into the Water wiggler. The point of the goofy little water toy is to give you a reading on what the actual temperature will be inside the egg not just in the open environment of your incubator... Also a kids prob style thermometer is pretty reliable... And affordable as well as easy to find. Move the water wiggler to differnt spots in the bator let it sit for 24 hours and take temperature readings in different areas of the incubator... that's my thought

Last edited:
So I guess the consensus is that the temperature is the problem? My chickens should all be fine to cross together and 3x per day is enough turning right? I also have 2 small water bottles inside to try and even out the temps.

If I put an 80mm fan in the center blowing straight up at the lid, and have it on a riser block so it is held about 1 in in the air, do you think that will circulate the air enough?

Do you keep the probe type thermometer inside the bator all the time and the wires running out or how do you normally do it? Thanks again and sorry for all the newbee questions.

Back
Top Bottom