HELP! What is this?!

Abbkayx

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
Hi!

I went to let my flock out of their coop this morning and my one hen was making this noise. She didn’t show any other symptoms prior to this morning, it came out of nowhere!

She’s also coughing / sneezing.

Assuming respiratory illness, so can I treat with Tylan? My local feed store only has Tylan 200 so what would be the proper dose if so.

(Video file was too large to upload here, follow link below)

Update: I gave her some VetRx, rubbed it on her nostrils, and various other places to try to help.

Also bought the Tylan 200 and gave her 0.25CC of that as well. Hoping she recovers but if anyone else has any ideas?

Greetings Abbkayx,

Hopefully you have the chicken in a hospital crate, so she can rest, and you can monitor her eating and drinking, also medicate her.

If she has Infectious Coryza, you will know in 48 hours, other chickens will show symptoms. Coryza has a foul odor to it. Or, it can be as long as, 2-3 weeks, if it's Chronic Respiratory Disease. Both are bacterial, and should respond to the antibiotic you have chosen. You should be prepared to treat the flock, if more come down with symptoms.

Poor thing, she has very labored breathing. Rest is very important for the chicken. Good supportive care, which includes soft foods and fruit. She may go off feed, keep her eating, even if it's just fruit.

Electrolytes in the water, and a dose of poultry vitamins, both for the first three days, are beneficial.

You can give her 40 mg. of low dose (80 mg.) or baby aspirin, morning and evening to make her more comfortable. Manuka honey may soothe her throat, too.

Keep her out of drafts, in 75-80 degree temps.

As a side note: If the chicken doesn't improve, and no other chickens show symptoms, consider a possible obstruction in the airway. Maybe a seed?

These are my thoughts on your chicken's illness. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless, and I hope she recovers soon. :)

Late reply - thanks for your help. She recovered great! Actually within a day she was showing no symptoms. Gave her the Tylan, VetRX on her nostrils and in her water, plus probiotics, and she’s now doing great.

I have my whole flock the same treatment as a preventative measure and everyone is doing just fine now. :)

Always makes my day...to hear about great endings!
singing hens.gif

Back
Top Bottom