HELP!! What is wrong with my chicks??? (Pic included)

kindir

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Connecticut
Is this avian pox? They are all getting growths on their beaks. There is a slight respiratory issue also but are all eating and drinking normally. One got it in his eye so badly I had to cull him
sad.png

I need to know what this is and if I can help them!!!

40026_sick_chick.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a vet near you because if there is you nedd to go there and soon. i have no idea what it is but i hope they all get well soon!

I have no idea what it is, sorry, but I don't think it is avian pox, or fowl pox. Fowl pox, at least the more common dry type, is typically flat black spots or lesions on the comb and wattles. The lesions normally clear up on their own in about 3 weeks.

This link is a fairly good overview of respiratory diseases. I don't know whether the facial lesions or the same illness or note.

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

Where did you get the chicks? Can you contact them and ask about this?

That's the thing - my little bantam cochin hatched them from a polish pair I've had forever! All my other chickens are in good health, the cochin who is in there with them is in good health. There were 3 that hatched, 1 I had to cull he was so sick and clearly miserable.

I hatched another out of the same pair about 8 months ago (a different broody cochin hatched that one for me and she's all grown up and doing great. I can't figure it out. uggghhh, I am so sad
sad.png

Well I went back outside to check on the chickens and upon further inspection it is absolutely dry pox. Several of the other coops are starting to show signs. I suppose the babies just aren't able to fight it off as well. I will be swabbing the lesions with iodine and put them on antibiotics to combat any secondary infection. Poor little things
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom