Help. What is wrong with my chicks?

Pics
Wow! That's terrible! I'm so sorry! Can you copy and paste this write up into a new thread? That way you will draw the attention of the experts directly to your question. I'm afraid it will get lost here. I wish I had an answer for you. :hugs
Oh my goodness, I thought I was on a different thread. I’m sorry! It looks like an admin moved it to a separate thread! (Thank you admin!!)

View attachment 1954789

I may just order a brooder plate and use that in there for them and then just take it out once they are healthy and keep the room warm and use it for the new chicks.

Anyone used this one? Will the chicks pick at the cord?
I am a newbie but used one slightly larger than that for the batch of chicks I got in early September. They loved it and did well with it. Very content. I got the square one with the dome on top to prevent perching. I made a brooder out of a couple of large totes. (Cut one long side side off of each and duct-taped them together). I put the heat plate in one corner with the cord going up over the corner of the tote. The chicks paid zero attention except for the one time it was out of position, then they were scared of the cord until I tucked it back. It was great to be able to have it really low when they were little and raise it as they grew.

Cord should be fine....I'd get a bigger one tho.
The plate are as deceptive as the tiny coop as far as number of birds it will serve.
'20' infers 20 chicks....maybe 20 day old chicks, but they'll soon out grow it.

You really think too small for 8 chicks? I don’t think I’ll ever get more than that at once. It’s at the high end of my price range already. I’ve dumped hundreds of dollars into these chicks already. :hmm

I am a newbie but used one slightly larger than that for the batch of chicks I got in early September. They loved it and did well with it. Very content. I got the square one with the dome on top to prevent perching. I made a brooder out of a couple of large totes. (Cut one long side side off of each and duct-taped them together). I put the heat plate in one corner with the cord going up over the corner of the tote. The chicks paid zero attention except for the one time it was out of position, then they were scared of the cord until I tucked it back. It was great to be able to have it really low when they were little and raise it as they grew.

Would love a link to the one you used. How many chicks did you raise with it?

Hang in there, you're doing everything you can. Fortunately we all are able to learn from each others losses, so hopefully there aren't any more or at least fewer. I hope you don't lose anymore, it's hard feeling that helpless. I lost two juveniles (10-12 weeks old) in the last 2 weeks, I've got about 10 chicks/chickens on antibiotics for who knows what. I'm just doing my best & that's all any of us can do, so breath in & breath out & repeat, and now don't beat yourself up regardless of what the outcome is.

Hang in there, you're doing everything you can. Fortunately we all are able to learn from each others losses, so hopefully there aren't any more or at least fewer. I hope you don't lose anymore, it's hard feeling that helpless. I lost two juveniles (10-12 weeks old) in the last 2 weeks, I've got about 10 chicks/chickens on antibiotics for who knows what. I'm just doing my best & that's all any of us can do, so breath in & breath out & repeat, and now don't beat yourself up regardless of what the outcome is.

Thanks so much. Ugh I’m sorry you’re going through something too. Hang in there as well. Really appreciate the reassurance. It’s hard to not blame oneself. I feel like I did this all wrong.

You really think too small for 8 chicks? I don’t think I’ll ever get more than that at once. It’s at the high end of my price range already. I’ve dumped hundreds of dollars into these chicks already. :hmm
You can do a mama hen heating pad, super cheap and easy if you have a heating pad. And a bit of wire.

Back
Top Bottom