We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

HELP! WHAT JUST HAPPEND!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wildflower2005, Jul 17, 2019.

1. I have no idea what just happened!!! I went outside to bring my Silkie inside because the gnats were being especially vicious and they really annoy her because she has like fur for feathers . She came running to me as usal but when I picked her up and walked over to say hi to the other chickens she started flopping everywhere then died! My poor baby.....she was my favorite:hit:hit:hit Do you have any idea what happend!? The only thing I noticed was that her head had more gnat bites than usual . Yes, I did try various bug sprays for chickens but nothing seems to really work!!!!

MROO likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome sorry for the circumstances. You do not give your location, but many are experiencing a serious heat wave. It may have been heat stress/stress from the gnats/a heart attack. Sorry for your loss.

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

What about the rest of her body? Did you check that out for bites or wound's?

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  5. Texas Kiki

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    What exact sprays have you tried?

6. CleverCluck

CleverCluck Chirping

Jun 5, 2019
    Cartersville, GA
    awww im sorry sounds like a heart attack poor thing

Debdeb70, WVduckchick, Sequel and 2 others like this.
  7. Quail_Kid

Quail_Kid Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
  8. I was so shocked by the way she died I didn't inspect her..........and I don't want to...........

Thank you but I'm finished with chickens for now I just can't take it anymore . A week ago two died from being chopped up by a harvesting machine and my dad had to put the not quite dead one out of it's misery . Eaglet died this morning and now the dramatic death of my silkie . Two more are also missing even though I plugged all the escape holes . My first flock from half a year ago got whiped out by gnats, a coyote and heat stroke from being trapped beneath a container eather placed there purposely or tipped on top of the hen..............I just can't stand to watch another flock die out........

Vanilla/water mix,citronella mix,bug collors,Some chicken spray my neighbor uses for hers

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  9. Texas Kiki

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I'm sorry for your loss.

None of those will work like permethrin will.

10. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Loves Hatching

May 28, 2015
    South LA
    Sorry dear, dont give up forever though, just take your lesson and grieve your loss :hugs

The sort of seizure at the end is typical of the gnat death, its horrible and i qm really sorry you had to experience it.

Thanks for the heads up Kiki :highfive:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: