HELP! WHAT JUST HAPPEND!?

Pics

wildflower2005

Chirping
Jul 17, 2019
Young Pullet from Clucking Empire
I have no idea what just happened!!! I went outside to bring my Silkie inside because the gnats were being especially vicious and they really annoy her because she has like fur for feathers . She came running to me as usal but when I picked her up and walked over to say hi to the other chickens she started flopping everywhere then died! My poor baby.....she was my favorite:hit:hit:hit Do you have any idea what happend!? The only thing I noticed was that her head had more gnat bites than usual . Yes, I did try various bug sprays for chickens but nothing seems to really work!!!!

I have no idea what just happened!!! I went outside to bring my Silkie inside because the gnats were being especially vicious and they really annoy her because she has like fur for feathers . She came running to me as usal but when I picked her up and walked over to say hi to the other chickens she started flopping everywhere then died! My poor baby.....she was my favorite:hit:hit:hit Do you have any idea what happend!? The only thing I noticed was that her head had more gnat bites than usual . Yes, I did try various bug sprays for chickens but nothing seems to really work!!!!
What exact sprays have you tried?

What about the rest of her body? Did you check that out for bites or wound's?

I was so shocked by the way she died I didn't inspect her..........and I don't want to...........

Gnats are killing birds all over right now.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Invest in some Permethrin and spray daily to get rid of the gnats.

@mixedUPturk

Thank you but I'm finished with chickens for now I just can't take it anymore . A week ago two died from being chopped up by a harvesting machine and my dad had to put the not quite dead one out of it's misery . Eaglet died this morning and now the dramatic death of my silkie . Two more are also missing even though I plugged all the escape holes . My first flock from half a year ago got whiped out by gnats, a coyote and heat stroke from being trapped beneath a container eather placed there purposely or tipped on top of the hen..............I just can't stand to watch another flock die out........

What exact sprays have you tried?

Vanilla/water mix,citronella mix,bug collors,Some chicken spray my neighbor uses for hers

Last edited:
I was so shocked by the way she died I didn't inspect her..........and I don't want to...........

Thank you but I'm finished with chickens for now I just can't take it anymore . A week ago two died from being chopped up by a harvesting machine and my dad had to put the not quite dead one out of it's misery . Eaglet died this morning and now the dramatic death of my silkie . Two more are also missing even though I plugged all the escape holes . My last flock from a half a year ago also got whiped out gnats,predator then heat stroke from being trapped beneath a container eather placed there purposely or tipped on top of her.................

Vanilla/water mix,citronella mix,bug collors,Some chicken spray my neighbor uses for hers
I'm sorry for your loss.

None of those will work like permethrin will.

Thank you but I'm finished with chickens for now I just can't take it anymore . A week ago two died from being chopped up by a harvesting machine and my dad had to put the not quite dead one out of it's misery . Eaglet died this morning and now the dramatic death of my silkie . Two more are also missing even though I plugged all the escape holes . My last flock from a half a year ago also got whiped out gnats,predator then heat stroke from being trapped beneath a container eather placed there purposely or tipped on top of her.................

Sorry dear, dont give up forever though, just take your lesson and grieve your loss :hugs

The sort of seizure at the end is typical of the gnat death, its horrible and i qm really sorry you had to experience it.

Thanks for the heads up Kiki :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom