Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
I think there isn't anything else I can do ???
2A799C07-0A47-4FDD-89D4-481D41D9B37E.jpeg

This egg never lost the weight even though low humidity and daily cooling and spritzing. Honestly, didn't think it would make it this far. About 12 hours ago I noticed that it externally pipped, NOT in the air cell. (This egg with abnormally thick shell only lost 6% of total weight in 28 days.)
NEVER INTERNALLY PIPPED, NO SLANT/DIP, today is only day 29.

I set the egg in the lockdown hatcher with the increased humidity and just now opened the area around his beak, cleaning off goo with a q-tip. I put some bacitracin on the membrane.

There is soooo much liquid in the egg, he really wasn't due to start hatching for a couple more days. Please, someone, before I do something dumb...

1. Should I lower the humidity, since he is so drenched? Everything I've read says this would shrink wrap the boy, but how else will I be able to reduce some of the fluid?

2. Should I try to sop out some of the liquid by whicking with a paper towel?

3. Should I leave everything alone at 98.5 degrees and 61% humidity and NOT lift the cover for a day or so?

4. Anyone have ANY suggestions???

The poor guy didn't just pip, he had 3 pips in a row and a crack between them. I think that is the only reason he didn't drown!!!

View attachment 3443722

This egg never lost the weight even though low humidity and daily cooling and spritzing. Honestly, didn't think it would make it this far. About 12 hours ago I noticed that it externally pipped, NOT in the air cell. (This egg with abnormally thick shell only lost 6% of total weight in 28 days.)

I set the egg in the lockdown hatcher with the increased humidity and just now opened the area around his beak, cleaning off goo with a q-tip. I put some bacitracin on the membrane.

There is soooo much liquid in the egg, he really wasn't due to start hatching for a couple more days. Please, someone, before I do something dumb...

1. Should I lower the humidity, since he is so drenched? Everything I've read says this would shrink wrap the boy, but how else will I be able to reduce some of the fluid?

3. Should I leave everything alone at 98.5 degrees and 61% humidity and NOT lift the cover for a day or so?

The poor guy didn't just pip, he had 3 pips in a row and a crack between them. I think that is the only reason he didn't drown!!!
@New duck mommy 2021

View attachment 3443722

Is it possible you have twins and thats why it was so heavy/pipped on the wrong side?

If he is near drowning because the humidity is so thick you could very slowly start to lower the humidity, maybe by 5%. Although 60-70% humidity is around the range it should be at in lockdown. Do you have a separate hygrometer you could put in to double check the humidity? Just don't make any sudden changes in temp/humidity.

I myself haven’t had this happen but if it were my egg I would lower humidity to 60 that way it’s not to low but not as high as normal
I would take dry q tips and try to get out as much goo as I could without hurting baby
If he is absorbing his yolk and his beak is up away from the liquid I’m thinking he will be ok
He may take 48- 72 hours to fully be ready from the first hit missing the air cell we add that time onto the external only pip
I wouldn’t remove any more shell until the 48 hour mark as there isn’t to much membrane showing right now and he can breath
Yoy can use Vaseline as it keeps it moist for 3 hours or so so you don’t have to bug him as often

Is it possible you have twins and thats why it was so heavy/pipped on the wrong side?
Wow! Anything is possible. The mama goose is in her second season and I never had that happen last year. But, it was an early-ish egg this season.
I guess I will find out if there is a twin in the next few days. Thanks for the idea.

Wow! Anything is possible. The mama goose is in her second season and I never had that happen last year. But, it was an early-ish egg this season.
I guess I will find out if there is a twin in the next few days. Thanks for the idea.
Ah okay this is a goose egg. Is it any larger than her typical eggs? If it's normal sized it's probably one baby.

Back
Top Bottom