Help! What's wrong w/ her vent *graphic pics*

Quote:
Greenfamilyfarms, thank you so much for this info!! This is the closest thing that resembles my hen. From reading the posts and articles, I am concluding that the stuff around her vent that I have been calling scabs is built up tissue. I am anxious to do the recommended treatments and will post back if there is any progress
fl.gif

My hen died yesterday
hit.gif

I think that if I had been able to diagnose her earlier and treat her earlier she would have had a better chance of surviving. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information out there on vent gleet nor have I heard of any successful stories. I am pretty sure this is what she had... her symptoms fit it to a T. I hope with my pictures posted, someone can diagnose there chicken more easily.

I'm sorry too for your loss. You did everything you possibly knew to do. She got lots of love and attention in her last days, a good way to go if it's your time.

LovinMyHensInNC! :

My hen died yesterday
hit.gif

I think that if I had been able to diagnose her earlier and treat her earlier she would have had a better chance of surviving. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information out there on vent gleet nor have I heard of any successful stories. I am pretty sure this is what she had... her symptoms fit it to a T. I hope with my pictures posted, someone can diagnose there chicken more easily.

hugs to you​

I'm so sorry to learn that your hen died. You fought the brave fight for her and clearly did all you could to help her.

One of those links above says that vent gleet has no known cures, so it may have turned out the same way even if it was diagnosed earlier.

One of my 5 week old hens had something that appeared strikingly similar to your hen's condition. She didn't make it either. Her vent was pecked by other hens and I put Blue Kote on her injuries, so that's what is purple in the photos. But the smell was horrendous and the discharge just persisted. Poor girl. Rip Soupy.
After one of many baths:
43104_3-22-10_vent_post_bath.jpg

Before her baths:
43104_3-22-10_soupy_vent_prob_2.jpg

43104_3-22-10_soupy_vent_prob.jpg

Here's a more flattering photo of Soupy (in the foreground):
43104_3-13-10_rs_combs_13.jpg

Your hen was fortunate to have had such a diligent and committed caretaker.

Last edited:
This happened a few months ago and I just read this looking for answers for my constipated Barred Rock rooster. I bawled like a baby. My husband says I can't have chickens if I am going to cry every time I lose one..........I respect how hard you tried to save her! What a champ!

Back
Top Bottom