Help! What's wrong w/ her vent *graphic pics*

I am in the process of treating my girl that looked like this last week. I took her to our country vet thinking she had an egg stuck, he said it was cocci. I have her on medication treatment. She has stopped pooping blood and her vent isn't protruding as much. She is still very messy and I need to bath her often. I had her in the house until yesterday and depending on how she looks today I could bring her back inside again. The medication he gave me is Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim oral suspension. I don't know if it's possible to buy those medications separately somewhere or not. Good luck!!
fl.gif

The medication he gave me is Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim oral suspension

This is a common broad spectrum anti-biotic. Common brand names are Bactrim and Spectra. look up co-trimoxazole on Wikipedia.
Here's the link Co-trimoxazole

I don't know if you can buy it over the counter where you are but I would think that a course of broad spectrum antibiotics would be wise, while maggots are sterile the flies that laid the eggs are not. If you need a prescription, urinary tract infection symptoms are a pretty good bet.​

I probably should have added this about the medication, each teaspoon contains 200 mg of Sulfamethoxazole and 40 mg on trimethoprim per 5 ml. I give Chicken Little, 5cc 2 times a day in a long syringe I have to stick down her throat. HOWEVER, it's based on her weight. She's an 11 month old CX that is 13 lbs so I'm sure that is a lot for any other regular sized chicken. Just thought it may give you an idea?

Quote:
I had wondered about Epsom salts. I was trying to think of something I could add to water that would help soften and to disinfect as well as reduce swelling. How much would you add?

Quote:
I gave her the Epsom salt bath yesterday. I wasn't sure how much to add either but I ended up putting 1/4 cup in a big bowl full of warm water.

The maggots seem to be gone but everything else seems to be about the same. At the moment, she is receiving warm baths, hydrogen peroxide rinses, and then I coat her vent with Preparation H (BTW, applying it with a Q-tip works best for me). I am thinking about putting All-Stock (I think that is the name??) on her vent tomorrow.... it is a miracle ointment and I need a miracle!!

Siler, is your hen's vent any better?? Is it kind of scabby feeling?

LovinMyHensInNC! :

Quote:
I gave her the Epsom salt bath yesterday. I wasn't sure how much to add either but I ended up putting 1/4 cup in a big bowl full of warm water.

The maggots seem to be gone but everything else seems to be about the same. At the moment, she is receiving warm baths, hydrogen peroxide rinses, and then I coat her vent with Preparation H (BTW, applying it with a Q-tip works best for me). I am thinking about putting All-Stock (I think that is the name??) on her vent tomorrow.... it is a miracle ointment and I need a miracle!!

Siler, is your hen's vent any better?? Is it kind of scabby feeling?

Update: On Sunday after reading in this thread I decided to bathe my girl in Epsom salts. She was happy to sit it it more so I let her stay for about a half hour. I tried to pick off what poo I could from her backside then dried her off without rinsing with fresh water. I dried her off then used a paper towel to dry off her vent and squirted on some Povodine Iodine and let that dry. Then I used another paper towel and used PrepH cream and pushed her vent back in. I had bought some Duramune antibiotic powder and started putting that in her drinking water. The instructions are confusing so I put in about a teaspoon of the powder to her water and when the bowl went dry I gave her more water. I would guess she's getting about 2tsp of the antibiotic daily now. Monday morning I took her out of her cage and set her on top to have a good look at her butt and found that her vent was inside finally. After nearly a week and it's inside of her body. She laid an egg Monday afternoon and there was a bit of blood, but her vent was back inside her body. I did watch her poop and it came out a bit, but went back in. She's more alert and wanting more than just scrambled eggs to eat. I will continue with the Duramune for a week. I have no idea if she has an infection or not, but it seems to be working. When I'm done with the antibiotic I'll start adding the electrolytes back to her water to replenish her body with the good bacteria it needs to function normally. So for another week or so she'll stay inside. I hope this idea helps someone else.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom