Help! What's wrong w/ her vent *graphic pics*

I'm so concerned about your poor girl! Does her vent look infected after the soaking? If so, maybe some neosporin. Please keep us posted!
fl.gif

UPDATE: I just finished giving her another soak and discovered a significant amount of tiny WORMS in the water after I got her out!!
sickbyc.gif

Not sure if this is a whole other issue or what but I plan to treat her and the rest of my flock for worms first thing in the am and then a retreat in two weeks. I was planning on de-worming everyone in the fall once the temps got better but I think it is best to not postpone since I now know they do for sure have worms.

After the soak I gave her some yogurt with a crushed up Tums for extra calcium. I think she looks a little better but still hard to tell.

I wouldn't wait to worm if I was you. If she has worms that bad that they are falling out of her, then this could be her problem. worms can kill pets if they aren't taken care of. It sounds like she is infested with worms.

After I finished that last post I decided to go on down and fill all my chicken water buckets with the Wazine treatment so it will be ready for them first thing in the morning. I also put some if it in the dog crate with my poor hen. Could having worms make her vent so swollen and protruded?

Does anyone know if the Wazine is ok for dogs and goats?? The label says chickens, turkeys and Swine. I keep my pot-bellied in with my dogs and goats and thought it would be so nice if I could go ahead and deworm EVERYONE in one shot!

I can't see the pic very well, but this sounds like a prolapsed vent. I have a hen inside right now for a prolapse. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but she gobbles down scrambled egg and yogurt with extra calcium in it. Could this be what has your hen in distress? My hen also lays eggs with blood spots on them. I didn't know that's what it was until I watched her lay the egg and picked it up while it was still wet. I could rub them off, but when it dried the spots were permanent. Could this blood be from intestinal parasites? I think I'll treat my hen anyways. She has the protrusion that I've tried putting Prep H ointment on, but the ointment wont stick due to the moisture already present on her behind. I am able to push it back inside, but she still has the urates dripping out and poops out fully formed stools.

I hope your hen does better soon. That must be painful for her.

Quote:
Gosh, I didn't think about maggots!!
sickbyc.gif
:sick

I don't know! And I am now more confused than ever!?!? The 'worms' were much smaller than rice with a black tip on it's head.

There doesn't seem to be a 'plug'. Nothing is 'blocking' her poop from coming out. There seems to be a white-ish scab. If I try to pick at it her skin bleeds. When she poops, it does seem to get stuck in her vent area... not sure if it is because it is so swollen.

I don't think worming her would hurt at this point. You might even put some neosporin on that vent. I would keep it as clean as possible. Might even try the honey they use for prolapse to help with infection or some prep H for swelling. I would be afraid that maybe she had the prolapse and flys laid eggs and thats what you saw. Which would be bad. Just clean clean clean. I hope she pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom