Help, whats wrong with him??

Mikaela2016

Chirping
Feb 17, 2019
when I went to feed this morning I found my young pet rooster acting like he was going to throw up. His comb is turning a little purple and he doesnt look good. Any suggestions??

Attachments

• 20200909_161829.jpg
    20200909_161829.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 23
Looking at his eyes. I can see how sick he feels. Is he making gyrations with his neck? Gaping his beak while doing so? He may have a crop issue. You need to determine what his crop feels like now, and then check it first thing in the morning before he eats or drinks. If the crop is still full, he has a crop issue that needs to be treated. This will help you identify which crop issue and how to treat it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

There's a chance it's something else, though. You need to get a good look inside his mouth and throat. If it's not pink and clean, he has a problem. Describe what you find, and we'll try to help.

There are some diseases that can cause this tho such as Blue Comb Disease and Blackhead disease. Neither have a cure, you’ll just have to give supportive care and hope his immune system can fight it off. Penicillin helped my one other rooster that was like the one that passed away. Gave an injection every morning once a day, some electrolytes and Red Cell and my other one has made it so far.

Thank yall so much! Hes worse today. His crop was bigger than a soft ball. I got it to go down a little bit. Offered some grit and electrolyte water while I massaged his crop. Could this be from my turkey? I've heard of black head in turkeys but didn't realize chickens can get it. Hes the only one like this so far. I practice really good biosecurity due to participating in NPIP so not sure where this could come from if its not a crop problem. I found him laying in the run this morning and he couldn't walk. Brought him inside and been nursing him since. My friend offered to give me her spot at the vet tomorrow if he's no better since her chicken passed away 😢

This is the way he looks right now. Standing but won't move. I offered a little scrambled eggs and he would go to peck them but would completely miss?? When he goes to drink he dips his beak up to his nostrils which he's never done before. I gave a shallow free choice of water dish.

Attachments

• 20200911_140250.jpg
    20200911_140250.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 7
He definitely sounds like he has a crop issue. Did you determine if he's impacted or if it's a yeast infection? Have you started a treatment? You only mentioned massage. Did you determine he's impacted?

There probably is an underlying health issue, though. It's good that you got that vet appointment. He's such a beautiful boy, I sure hope this is something fixable.

Hes definitely impacted, very badly. I haveng treated him yet, I am waiting for the vet to determine what to give. I usually know what to give them but I've never dealt with impacted crop. I've pushed electrolytes and tried a little grit to try and help break it up. So far so no change. He wants to sleep, alot.

I hope he’ll make it, he’s handsome. I’d continue massaging his crop and giving supportive care until your vet can help you.

Back
Top Bottom