Help! Wheaten Ameraucana gender

Kyndalldanielle

Chirping
Mar 22, 2019
These are 4ish weeks old! Wheaten Ameraucana. Wondering if the one with the darker feathers on right is a roo? Because I know female wheatens are very light colored. Thanks!
74143F2B-55A5-47AA-862F-89981F082577.jpeg

C5ABD035-B842-4333-B5C8-744A028B1F13.jpeg

View attachment 1711762

Last edited:
The best way to tell sex of a chick at this age is by the color of the comb, not feathers, which go through many changes over the first three months.

A cockerel will start to show a little bit of yellow in his comb around four weeks. In another week, it'll be a yellow-orange. By six weeks it will be an obvious red or red orange. The pullets' combs remain a pale pink until point of lay.

The best way to tell sex of a chick at this age is by the color of the comb, not feathers, which go through many changes over the first three months.

A cockerel will start to show a little bit of yellow in his comb around four weeks. In another week, it'll be a yellow-orange. By six weeks it will be an obvious red or red orange. The pullets' combs remain a pale pink until point of lay.
A03B6BAB-9A44-4C9D-B23E-6BEF0268CA25.jpeg

Picture of combs - one on the left now was one with darker feathers!

Pullet on left, cockerel on right. :) Wheaten males and females feather out differently. Cockerels show red/black plumage, pullets are light salmon. Just lovely. :love When I get home, I'll post pictures of my own pair for reference.

~Alex

Oh awesome!! I’d love that!!
That’s what I was reading that Roos will start feathering our darker and females will stay lighter feathered I was hoping for a roo and pullet so hopefully that’s right!!

Back
Top Bottom