Help with a little one

Everything else seems fine, shes just growing slower then the rest. I dont recall any exposed yolk sac, however, let me throw this idea out there. The black Lorps were collected from two of our hens, our hen hazel's chicks hatch no problem and are doing great. However Ethals eggs did not do so well, this one was the only one that lived all the other chicks died shortly after hatching. I never really considered this till now.
Were all the eggs part of the same hatch?

It does sound suspect, regardless, if Ethals eggs didn't develop and this is the only chick to make it from Ethals eggs.

Were all the eggs part of the same hatch?

It does sound suspect, regardless, if Ethals eggs didn't develop and this is the only chick to make it from Ethals eggs.

Yes all the same hatch, Hazel gave us a hen and a roo, Jasmin our NH Red gave us a Hen and Hazel who had three eggs we gathered has given us the one hen that's survived the far. If we can save her I will do everything in my power, but i just need to know what to do.

Do you have the chicks under a red brooder lamp where the red color in the shoulder may not show and attract pecking? It seems a shame to separate the chick, but it may be necessary if the others peck at her wound. There are some wound coat products at some feed stores that might be safe to use once the area scabs over. I haven’t used the product below, but it might be helpful. BluKote is another that can be used, but do not use it until the wound has scabbed. Betadine might work as well, since it turns things brown.
upload_2019-8-19_20-59-13.jpeg

@Tesumph Are you online now?
The only case of a limb falling off with no exterior trauma that I can think of would be something like sepsis.

To echo what others have said.. clean with betadine and keep the exposed flesh moist with an antibiotic ointment.
I hope I don’t sound callous, but be prepared for the worst with this little one.

Do you still have the wing that fell off?

Theres no odor,
She never stopped eating, she was eating right after they wing came off, it didnt even phase her. Eating and drinking fine. We let her hang out with the other chicks mainly because she was flipping out when we separated her and shes being a normal chick. Jumping and playing. What made me start this thread was the fact that she acts like a normal health chick, outside of growing slower then the rest. Then boom all the sudden wing in the hand. Yes we still have the wing, as I have stated before it's almost like the wing never developed past day 1 of hatch. Its solid you cant spread it like a normal wing, and its crusty, like it's been dead for awhile but the body just finally pushed it off. The wound isnt bleeding, she seems content.

This is a fascinating mystery! I'm so glad to hear that in spite of what seems like a devastating injury, this little one does not seem to be suffering, and is eating, drinking and playing normally. We had a hen with only one wing and it was quite a while before we even noticed. She was othwise completely normal in every way. May you little one heal without issue!

Back
Top Bottom