Help with a little one

Ok here I took a closer photo and a picture of the wing that fell off and the wing that's attached.
The part on her body where the wing fell off...is there one sticking out there?

I can not tell in your photos...they aren't clear enough.

Oh gee ... Have the others been picking on it? This is the first I've heard of this happening ... @casportpony @Eggcessive @azygous
@Mvan42 tagged a few experienced, as I have. Keep the wound clean, perhaps some Neosporin without the pain relief, even some Vetercyn would help but keep it clean and best to separate from the rest, they'll see that red and peck. Make a temp brooder with heat source, feather duster mimics a hen and/or a cuddly stuffed animal and mirror so it can see it's reflection (as in my avatar).
We already started treatment with the Vetercyn, we always have a second brooding area just incase we need to separate any chicks, but we have never run into this before. She will be super upset if we separate her from the others, but we will do it most definitely as we know the risks. She really is a trooper though. She a tough little one keeping up with the others who no tower over her

Incubator hatch/none of our hens will brood
It is calibrated
The eggs are our own

I have no specific pics of her hatching however we write the dates on all of our eggs when we bate them and she hatched a day early, we didnt even think she was going to live but she did and shes strong.

Honestly she was born a day early, is it possible that she just didnt develope the wing fully? My concern here is the wing literally just fell off, it was a clean drop, its crusty where the skin is and seems like it. Idk it's hard to explain I guess the real questions here are what can I use to cover the wound so she doesnt peak at it.

I wonder if it is something along the lines of sepsis or perhaps a cellulitis type infection? Did the chick happen to have any exposed yolk sac or something similar? If the chick has been fighting infection, it could be why it hasn't been growing. If the wing hasn't grown or developed from the beginning, it sounds like the tissue was damaged and possibly the tissues died. It could be from an infection at that area, or infection could have travelled and taken hold of that particular tissue.

Is there any other parts that haven't grown or developed?

I wonder if it is something along the lines of sepsis or perhaps a cellulitis type infection? Did the chick happen to have any exposed yolk sac or something similar? If the chick has been fighting infection, it could be why it hasn't been growing. If the wing hasn't grown or developed from the beginning, it sounds like the tissue was damaged, possibly infected and the tissues died.

Is there any other parts that haven't grown or developed?

Everything else seems fine, shes just growing slower then the rest. I dont recall any exposed yolk sac, however, let me throw this idea out there. The black Lorps were collected from two of our hens, our hen hazel's chicks hatch no problem and are doing great. However Ethals eggs did not do so well, this one was the only one that lived all the other chicks died shortly after hatching. I never really considered this till now.

Back
Top Bottom