Help with bumblefoot surgery please

erinkwilliams

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My girl Snoopy has bumblefoot on both feet. Her left foot has swelling on the top of her foot as well as a very small black scab on bottom of foot. I soaked in Epsom salt and cut the scab and it had a small piece of hard white stuck to it. I didn't dig around any more, her foot pad is still pretty swollen as is top of foot. Wondering if I should try to find more of a "kernel" or wait and see if this help swelling on top of foot go down.

Her right foot has a much larger black scab. After soaking, I removed the scab, but there is no plug/kernel that I can find. As I dig around, it just seems like bloody flesh. She is very uncomfortable and I don't know if I should keep looking for more or just soak and add neosporin.

Left foot

Right foot:

Left foot:

Right:

You should get as much of the hard pus out as you can, if not all. You should also inject the wound with antibiotics. Originally a combiotic was recommended but probably not available any more. A penicillin or tetracycline type or preferably both. It's very resilient so needs a good knock down. You should also pack it and wrap it. Keep the bird on clean flooring.

Yes you are going to need to get the gunk out. It's there. Go deeper and possibly wider. You can mash the heck out of it to get it to come up but it does better to give it room to pop out. I was hesitant to cut more also until I realized it was harder to get it out of that small hole. On the ones with swollen areas on the top I go through the top also to clean it out.

One other thing....you need to remove the kernel out of there. That's what causing the whole mess to begin with. Down in there somewhere is the kernel, be sure to get that. Wishing you all the best and keep us updated!

So, I have to cut though the stringy, bloody, pulpy mess in her foot? Dang... Was hoping to get e big plug attached to the scab like others I have read about...
Thanks for the replies.

The vet charged me $188 for doing my chicken. When I got home and got to looking I found three other hens with bumblefoot. Have to do it myself now. Some seem to be more concentrated than others. Some have stringy white or yellow like stuff. I am using vetrycin (sp?) instead of Neosporin this time to see how that goes. We've both feet on one hen this go round. Two more hens with minor bumbles to go.

Once you get the first one done it is not so daunting a task. One person lays the chicken on a towel on its side and cover the head and holds the foot out. The other cuts and mashes. It helps if the holder hooks their finger on the middle toe to keep the foot extended flat and not let the toes curl in.

Hey check this out......I think I will try this on one of my others

My Bumble Foot treatment by Bill Ludwig.
The following is an all out treatment. Mild infections can sometimes heal on there own or with much less bother than the following treatment plan. For very mild cases (small scab and no swelling) I will just clean and bandage for 1 to 2 weeks. For a medium infection (small scab and minor swelling of the foot pad) I will give Pen-G injections and clean and bandage. For very bad cases (large scab and major swelling of entire foot) I use the following. This information is based on my personal experience. I have no back round or education in veterinarian medicine
Bumble Foot is a staph infection and can spread to the "hock" joint as well. What has worked for me is injections of Pen-G. This is a basic form of penicillin and works very well on is type of staph infection. It will take some of your time for a week. You will need to soak the foot and bandage it also.
Things you will need:
1) Pen-G This can be purchased at feed stores or Tractor Supply Co. No prescription needed. Small bottle $9.00
2) 3ml syringe with a 25 gage needle. Shorter needle is easier. I use 1/2 or 5/8 inch. Get this at a pharmacy. Cost about 25 cents each. You may want several incase you bend a needle.
3) Rubbing alcohol
4) Gaze
5) Water proof bandaging tape
6) Epson salts
7) Neosporin or generic triple antibiotic ointment
8) Time and TLC
I have found that the lancing and squeezing is a waste of time.
Soak the foot in warm Epson salt solution. Mix according to package. About 15 - 20 minutes.
Apply Neosporin ( triple antibiotic ointment) and bandage. It will get dirt in it. Do the best you can allowing for free movement of foot.
Injections .
Allow Pen-G to warm to room temp. Shake pen-g well just before putting in syringe. Pull in about 3/4 CC (same as ml.). Pen-G is very thick, this will be slow.
Injection can be given in breast or thigh.
It must be given in muscle tissue taking care not to hit a bone.
Find the spot you want and clean with alcohol.
It helps if someone can help hold the bird now.
The Pen-G will want to plug the needle so just before putting the needle in you need to clear it by pushing some out. Keep 1/2 CC in syringe. This is the amount I used for a 4-5 lb. bird.
Insert the syringe and slowly withdraw it while injecting.
If the medicine wont push out the needle, withdraw the needle and clear it and try again.
If you have never done this I know it sounds difficult and even scary. Its not so bad.
Clean syringe with alcohol or replace with a new one.
Repeat for five days.
Now clean and bandage every 2 - 3 days till scabbed area looks mostly healed.
The swelling will last maybe a week longer after injections are done.
The scab may take several weeks to completely heal

Back
Top Bottom