Help with dislocated “knee” on my duck

Oh no, that almost looks as if the joint if frozen in a very unnatural position. Did the vet think it was broken as well as dislocated? I really think that is out of my limit of knowledge. Hopefully, others with duck experience will chime in. I would hate to tell you to do something that would make it worse. @WVduckchick, @Miss Lydia, @casportpony, and others, can you look at this?

The vet took multiple x-rays and said it wasn’t broken just dislocated, unfortunately I had gone to make the appointment closer to the holidays so had to wait almost 10 days before they could even see him, not sure if the wait had made it harder to fix or not, she didn’t say so either way. But it can in fact move just a bit, but I’m not really willing to push it to see how far really. He does move the leg both above and below the dislocation when in water. I was giving him multiple baths and water time a day, but the vet told me not to for at least the next 3 days to allow him to rest and heal

Does this vet have experience with water fowl. Where in the country are you ? Majestic water fowl maybe able to help you if want an expert water fowl opinion you could contact them and send pics along with vet report.
They do... or as far as I know, they are supposed to specialize in non-traditional pets. Everything from snakes to geckos coming in the door while I was there, also a “wild life rehabilitation “

I’ve never had a duck with a dislocation, so I’m not much help either. I would have thought swim therapy would have been good, I’m kinda surprised the vet said to hold off on that.

How about a pool noodle, cut to fit his leg, wrapped with vet wrap to stabilize it?

Maybe @Pyxis had some ideas

I was given meloxicam (for pain I believe) I will follow orders with rest and little movement for now before I start trying to mess with wrapping, at least let him start to feel a little more relaxed, I have stuffed a few pillows on the sides of his cage to minimize his moving(not really working so far lol he likes to rearrange his things) at least let the pain medication kick in so the movement and wrapping won’t be as much as a bother to him

Not sure what your asking, this is how he almost always holds his leg with little to no movement
E09E173B-95CD-48D2-95C5-3D911F9DD8F1.jpeg
374DF659-D4C4-498C-9906-BFEBBB70F8B3.jpeg
636949A9-31DF-4166-9E6C-494BD18E53DF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom