Help with my handsome Roo..

WeTradeChickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 27, 2016
I hatched this guy and 2 others (hens) back in early May. They came from a farm that free-ranged several birds, so I'm interested to see what everyone's opinions are as to his breed(s). The 2 hens lay dark brown eggs, so I'm thinking copper marans are in the mix, but 🤷🏻‍♀️ ??? Thanks for any input.. 😁
PXL_20201206_221957479.MP.jpg
PXL_20201206_221934057.MP.jpg

What color are the bottoms of the feet? How big is he? his shape is a bit more like a BJG. But the tail is more like an Australorp. The red/copper in the hackles could indicate Marans, but many Marans also have feathered legs. Wonder if the farm can tell you breeds of their roosters. Either way, he is a handsome cockerel.

If they have more than one breed of rooster free-ranging with females on that farm, then what your females are laying are not necessarily an indication of the breed of your rooster. Marans and welsummers are known to lay a darker brown egg.

I know for certain there were Marans, Australorps, barred rock and buff Brahama birds. I have always believed he was Maran/Australorp. He is a big, gentle guy that takes excellent care of his ladies. The bottoms of his feet are inconclusive to me as they are a pinkish-yellowish color that is neither more pink or more yellow, if that makes sense.
I am mostly wondering (I'm kind of a newb) if crossing him with other brown egg layers (not necessarily Marans) will result in offspring that may possibly lay darker brown eggs?? Or olive eggers if I cross him with Blue layers?? Or is this all completely off base.. lol

I know for certain there were Marans, Australorps, barred rock and buff Brahama birds. I have always believed he was Maran/Australorp. He is a big, gentle guy that takes excellent care of his ladies. The bottoms of his feet are inconclusive to me as they are a pinkish-yellowish color that is neither more pink or more yellow, if that makes sense.
I am mostly wondering (I'm kind of a newb) if crossing him with other brown egg layers (not necessarily Marans) will result in offspring that may possibly lay darker brown eggs?? Or olive eggers if I cross him with Blue layers?? Or is this all completely off base.. lol
Brown splits the difference between parents, so if you cross him with a dark brown layer, he will, at worst, lighten it a little. You will get some shade of green if you cross him with Blue layers, from Olive to Mint green, depending on what he's made of. In any case, it would be fun to experiment. He's absolutely gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom