Help With Rooster From Hell!!!

This morning my big and fat Plymouth Rock rooster (Named Kingy D after my aunt Delores, who I love) attacked me from behind, but I was ready and I turned, and we had a real fight. He stood up very tall and fluffed up his ruff. He was very powerful and brave, and I kept yelling and hitting.

My friend (a man who is fixing things around my house and yard) came to see what the heck was happening. He wanted to come and rescue me from the attack, but, though I am a 62 year old woman, I am strong. I asked my friend not to interfere unless the rooster got past my stick. So, my friend stood by with a big broom in his hand ready to come to my rescue if needed.

It was a very exciting battle for 3 -4 minutes. The big grey rooster kept coming in, getting hit and pushed back and then coming back again. He was very brave and very handsome! I mean he is such a beauty! He was so determined to get at me. I just LOVE him! I finally hit him at the feet, and got him up into the air. He went back a few feet in the air and then dropped to his feet and ran off. Later he saw me still out by the chicken yard putting in food, and he ran off the other way! He is avoiding me!

I will see tomorrow when I reach in for eggs. He may now know I am stronger than he is and avoid me, or maybe he will need to have another fight, and I will need to show him even more clearly that I am the BOSS. I will be ready for him with a stick in my hand tomorrow just in case. This time I will go right for the feet and send him flying right away.

The best luck I've had is picking up roosters and carrying them around every so often. I don't cuddle them just pick them up to show I am dominate. IMHO, fighting them usually just makes for an unpredictable rooster who I have to watch all the time. Not my idea of fun with the chickens.

We have, as others have said, a roo that was determined to fight us no matter what. He was not that great of a roo to the hens so we culled him.

Speckled hen gave some very good advice on raising roos in this thread. I have tried it my way - MAJOR FAIL. And her way and now I have two fabulous roos that I have no worry about attacking me or anyone else that visits.

Good luck.

I got it yesterday too from am 8 month old (new Alpha Male) Crele Standard Old English Game Fowl. Have him with 20 Buff Orphington hens for a little size and grit in my birds that are free range. I took the Orpington Rooster out two weeks ago (then the Alpha). Everything was fine till yesterday morning when the Game Fowl hit me from behind mid back and I'm 5'10". After him spurring and me kicking for about 10 minutes in 20 degree weather, I gave up. More I kicked, more he liked it. Read a great post somewhere on this site about the Alpha role and it made perfect sense. We humans are the Alpha! I wasn't going to do it to my Game Fowl Rooster, but by gosh i got his attention this morning. You Tube has a great video on how to remove spurs and best of all, how to dub a chicken. Let me put it like this, Old English Game fowl is running scared of me now with his wepons, headdress and wattles gone! I got his attention now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom