If there is no bad smell from her mouth, it would more likely be MG. It's such common illness that the odds are good that's what it is. I'd test for that.

If there is no bad smell from her mouth, it would more likely be MG. It's such common illness that the odds are good that's what it is. I'd test for that.
Ok thanks, I am hoping its not that and its just wet fowl pox so here is to hoping it comes back negative for MG. I am just confused how she got it since she didn't spend much time outside of the coop and spent 100% of her time with her chicks you would think the chicks would be showing symptoms too, but they seem to be as healthy as ever.

If it's MG, she could have been a carrier until now. The stress of being broody could have pushed her over to being symptomatic. But a test will either confirm or rule it out. Ruling things out is sometimes one of only a few ways to arrive at a diagnosis, though it may be tentative.

Another way to arrive at a diagnosis is to start treating for one thing and if it causes improvement, you probably have the diagnosis. These methods sometimes are all we amateur home-style vets have when we're trying to fix a sick chicken.

As you've mentioned, testing can run into big money and our slow mail rules out a lot of tests due to samples not being viable when they arrive at the lab even if you can afford the testing. But after seeing here on BYC quite a few reports of folks who've had vets treat their chickens, our track record is nearly as good, and sometimes better than some vets.

If it's MG, she could have been a carrier until now. The stress of being broody could have pushed her over to being symptomatic. But a test will either confirm or rule it out. Ruling things out is sometimes one of only a few ways to arrive at a diagnosis, though it may be tentative.

Another way to arrive at a diagnosis is to start treating for one thing and if it causes improvement, you probably have the diagnosis. These methods sometimes are all we amateur home-style vets have when we're trying to fix a sick chicken.

As you've mentioned, testing can run into big money and our slow mail rules out a lot of tests due to samples not being viable when they arrive at the lab even if you can afford the testing. But after seeing here on BYC quite a few reports of folks who've had vets treat their chickens, our track record is nearly as good, and sometimes better than some vets.
Yea, luckily there is a lab a few hours away (although unluckily because the long drive) that only charges I think 2.50 for a test for MG.

I would have thought that the stress of being moved from her flock to my house would have stressed her enough to bring fourth the illness. And on top of that she was with the chicks for 4 weeks and seemed to be eating and drinking just fine along with the chicks. she also is not coughing or sneezing at all, only time she did cough was when she was drinking water on her own, most likely to prevent liquid from going down her throat.

We also hit our rainy season here in Washington so mosquito larva has had a lot more standing water, so if it is not MG I am feeling that wet fowl pox is also a candidate for what's making her ill. I suppose time will tell after I get the test. If I can get to the testing facility to drop off a blood sample that is.

You may want to contact your state lab to see if they will work with you on testing.
She looks to be in poor shape, so consider culling and sending the body for necropsy so you know what you are dealing with.
https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/avian

I would not sell any birds at auction until you find out what this is you are dealing with.
yea I know not to sell until I have an answer, I dont want to kill her yet as she has fight left in her, but if she stops responding to me handling her I will re-evaluate the situation, but as of now she has enough energy to try and pull her head away successfully when I force feed her and enough energy to flap her wings and also gets up and moves around the cage on her own. and I am trying to find a way to get some blood to that lab, it is quite a drive though and I dont feel comfortable leaving her alone that long yet as I want to keep pumping food and her regular dose of aspirin into her as often as possible.

Take a throat swab sample to the lab, as well, for a PCR test. Take a Q-tip and run it across the back of her throat, back and forth a few times. Then repeat the same thing with a second Q-tip. Be sure to wash hands well and not touch the Q-tip cotton to anything except her throat. Then bag them both together in a clean baggie and seal it up. Respiratory illness is best tested from the throat. Blood can be useful for DNA tests to determine viruses, but it degrades in 24 hours.

Take a throat swab sample to the lab, as well, for a PCR test. Take a Q-tip and run it across the back of her throat, back and forth a few times. Then repeat the same thing with a second Q-tip. Be sure to wash hands well and not touch the Q-tip cotton to anything except her throat. Then bag them both together in a clean baggie and seal it up. Respiratory illness is best tested from the throat. Blood can be useful for DNA tests to determine viruses, but it degrades in 24 hours.
Thanks for the advice, the reason I was going to bring blood is because for the MG test they said a blood sample is required on the website. I will bring them a sample of both.

If you are trying to keep her, then you need to treat her.

Keep the mucous wiped from her nostrils. Flush the eyes with saline, press out all that pus, flush, then apply Terramycin Eye Ointment into the eyes. Do this twice a day. Chicken pus sort of solidifies - it has to be removed, it will not dry up and disappear on it's own.

The mucous/lesions inside the beak, wipe those out with a qtip.

She needs antibiotics - Carol gave you a good link for that or you can try a sulfa antibiotic in conjunction with Tylosin.

If you are trying to keep her, then you need to treat her.

Keep the mucous wiped from her nostrils. Flush the eyes with saline, press out all that pus, flush, then apply Terramycin Eye Ointment into the eyes. Do this twice a day. Chicken pus sort of solidifies - it has to be removed, it will not dry up and disappear on it's own.

The mucous/lesions inside the beak, wipe those out with a qtip.

She needs antibiotics - Carol gave you a good link for that or you can try a sulfa antibiotic in conjunction with Tylosin.
that is what I am doing, and on top of that giving her aspirin, while I am trying to track down some antibiotics. That website she gave me requires a prescription for that antibiotic unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom