Help!!!!! Young rooster steps into hot bed of coals.

bkrw

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Today had small fire close to the chicken coop,been treating the chickens for infections problems,had one dying in hands because of that. Turn my head and there he goes
stepping into the coals. If I did not have back luck, I would not have any luck at all. Checked him a few min. ago,has blusters on one foot,any good advice on treating
him. Thanks.....

You know, that is actually something I had never considered-I have access to emu oil so I would use that or aloe vera juice. I think the aloe vera would be harmless to him. I would also cage him for a few days to try to keep his feet clean to avoid infection.
Hope he gets better.

Thanks,, lost to many allready, do not want to lose anymore,,,I love animals..

Me too, hate to see anything happen to them.
I wish I had better info for you-you know, some folks have had brooder/coop fires you may do a search on that to see how they treated burns.

It's worth getting him some sort of antibiotic powder or cream, I would think the powder would better as it wouldn't keep the wounds moist.
Burns easily get infected and as they're on his foot they're very likley to get infected.

As mentioned, perhaps keep him in a small unit with a solid floor, you could dust the floor with antibiotic/antiseptic powder.

I would keep an eye on the feet- if you see any abnormal discoloring, like black or green or brown in the burned areas, it could be third degree. If it's just blisters he likely got lucky and only has second degree issue. I would seclude him for a bit in a plastic tub indoors, if possible, so that when his blisters rupture he doesn't get pecked. Secluding him will also keep his feet cleaner and thus reduce the chances of infection, and will also allow you to better monitor him. I would not suggest putting anything on the blisters- this will only cause debris to stick and become a route for infection. Make sure he is well hydrated, as this is the very best thing you can do for a traumatic burn- put some electrolytes in his water if you can.

Good luck!

Vitamin E capsules are wonderful for this sort of thing. Just puncture the capsule and put the oil on the burn. Heals very well and provides a barrier too. Going to be hard to keep clean though. Might want to rig up some rooster socks?

For sure put him in a hospital crate and keep it CLEAN, clean, clean. I use a large dog crate, but anything around that size should be fine. You may want to try some vet wrap to bandage his feet with as well as antibiotic cream--make sure to get the kind with NO lidocain or any other pain reliever in it because many chooks are very sensitive to the 'cain's and especially with something like a burn wound it could kill him. Best of luck!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom