Help

Tragedyofleaves

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2017
i lost two of my four peas. Another I have showed signs of illness first - she was lethargic with cold legs. She was extremely skinny and gaping. I took her to the vet. He put her on a month of antibiotic and antifungal. She's been on the treatment for two weeks and, although still very skinny, is eating and showing signs of improvement. I've kept her in the house. The other two were lethargic and not eating, not roosting, and laying down and I started them on the same treatment, but they both died. I left them in the run, as they were not as bad off as she was. I'm wondering If my run has anything to do with it. I have wood chips down. As I was raking them today, I noticed a ton of worms underneath. Should I remove the wood chips? I've wormed them with safeguard.

I'm not a peafowl expert (mine are only six weeks old currently), but what you have said, with there being tons of worms in the run plus the gaping, makes me wonder if they might have gapeworm. Did the vet check for those when you were there? They are pretty resilient and I believe you need to worm them repeatedly several days in a row to tackle them.

@casportpony what do you think?

I'm not a peafowl expert (mine are only six weeks old currently), but what you have said, with there being tons of worms in the run plus the gaping, makes me wonder if they might have gapeworm. Did the vet check for those when you were there? They are pretty resilient and I believe you need to worm them repeatedly several days in a row to tackle them.

@casportpony what do you think?
I did consider gapeworm. The vet did not check, but I did four days of safeguard. Only the one who is still alive is gaping. The other two who died did not gape.

Good luck with your babies. They are wonderful.

Orbax should treat most gram negative bacterial infections, and the anti-fungal is the preferred treatment for aspergillosis, but I think it's meant to be given for several weeks.

Did the vet mention aspergillosis as a possibility?

Can you post some poop pictures?

The two who died had a lot of white in their poop. My sick hen hasn't pooped yet this am. But she has mostly white too. I've been feeding her grapes and eggs. She's not much interested in her gamebird food. I will post when she poops.

I don't know if it is something in the environment that made them sick. I'm worried to put my one healthy male back in the coop. He shows no signs of distress or anything, but he is lonely.

Does anyone have wood chips in their runs?

Orbax should treat most gram negative bacterial infections, and the anti-fungal is the preferred treatment for aspergillosis, but I think it's meant to be given for several weeks.

Did the vet mention aspergillosis as a possibility?

Can you post some poop pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom