Cayla91

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2017
I have lost two ducks, exactly a week apart. Both are adults. No blood, one was in the middle of the duck pen the other was in the surrounding yard. No visible bite marks. No ruffled feathers even. Necks look like it could be stretched too far back, but I'm not super clear as I can't handle dead ducks.

my flock was devastated last night almost in the same manner only difference is i had 3 chickens with heads ripped off and after investigating im pretty sure it was a raccoon you may have the same predator

my flock was devastated last night almost in the same manner only difference is i had 3 chickens with heads ripped off and after investigating im pretty sure it was a raccoon you may have the same predator
I considered raccoon, except there appears to be no blood, no missing heads. Feathers are barely ruffled

When some animals die, they have what looks like seizures. Their necks will appear to be stretched out and sometimes twisted back to their backs. (So it looks like their neck was pulled towards their back end.)

Usually a natural death or one from parasites/bugs/illness. Not from a predator.

*hugs* I am sorry both of you lost duckies.

When some animals die, they have what looks like seizures. Their necks will appear to be stretched out and sometimes twisted back to their backs. (So it looks like their neck was pulled towards their back end.)

Usually a natural death or one from parasites/bugs/illness. Not from a predator.

*hugs* I am sorry both of you lost duckies.
Any clue what's causing it? Is it something I'm feeding them? Or not feeding them?

Have you treated them for worms?

Have you treated them for cocidius?

What percentage of protein do they get in their feed? (Ducks need more protein than chickens. I supplement my duckies with high protein treats, chicken eggs, meats, soaked grains, and veggies.)

Any idea how much niacin they receive a day? (Ducks need a lot more niacin than a chicken does. My duckies get it through the veggies and extra protein foods, like eggs.)

From what I understand, from my vet and from reading on this site, ducks usually die very quickly. With an adult human, you will hear moaning, groaning, and a lot of complaining when they don't feel good. With human children, there's very little warning - they crash hard and fast. (EMT training.) Ducks crash hard and fast. (BYC & vet training.)

What I do for my duckies ---

* fermented feed (they love it) which has a higher absorbable protein/nutrient yield than regular feed alone
* supplement the feed with high protein foods, like scrambled eggs, fish, meats, etcl
* allow my duckies to forage all day
* allow my duckies to eat from the garden - it's their buffet (and yes, they do go for things like tomatoes, peppers, greens, some herbs)
* treat my duckies for cocidius every 6 months or so
* treat my duckies for worms every 6 months or so
* offer them natural dewormers (like squash, seeds, etc)
* clean water in their room at night (no food)
* clean water outside in a deep dish secured by bricks (they like to step on the container and tip it over, so the bricks prevent that)
* change the pool water at least once a week (they drink from there too)
* clean their room almost daily (I strive for daily, but life happens)

The duckies free range all day with the chickens. They currently share a room with baby chickens and baby turkeys. The windows are always open or cracked for fresh air at night.

*I say this with hope shining brightly in my eyes* This weekend, they will move to their new winterized quarters and not have to share space with anyone.

There will be sand on the floor. So easy to clean up! And so fast!!!

It would help if we could see the duck set up (housing, run. etc) and know what they are being fed, how often they are being fed, etc.

Back
Top Bottom