Help!

Griselda209

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2020
So I’ve recently got my rooster about 2 months ago so I’m new to all this. I need help I’m sure my rooster is very sick and I’m not sure what is wrong with him? His skin is peeling like it shows in the picture but it’s all throughout his body and he’s been having some strange behavior in the last couple days. I’m not sure how or what I can do to help him?

Attachments

• 7E1C62C7-05DB-43CF-B13A-30E6AFA62903.jpeg
    7E1C62C7-05DB-43CF-B13A-30E6AFA62903.jpeg
    572 KB · Views: 24
So I’ve recently got my rooster about 2 months ago so I’m new to all this. I need help I’m sure my rooster is very sick and I’m not sure what is wrong with him? His skin is peeling like it shows in the picture but it’s all throughout his body and he’s been having some strange behavior in the last couple days. I’m not sure how or what I can do to help him?
He does look sick, Have you tried bringing him to the vet? Looks like a rare skin decease, maybe they can give you some skin treatment lotion or what.

How old is he? I can't believe he got this far with that beak. I don't know how he can get enough to eat.

His beak appears to be a genetic deformity unless he's several years old and has never had a beak trim. I doubt trimming now will achieve much as the quick has likely grown along with the beak and it can't be trimmed enough to make it work.

Do you have any history on him at all? What were the circumstances associated with acquiring him? I wouldn't be surprised he has other genetic issues that are affecting his health.

Sorry I can't tell you what to do for him. Please try to tell us more about him if you can.

I agree his beak is way long, but is his lower beak broken off or deformed? Birds groom themselves with their beak, so he will need to have some careful trimming done. Dog nail trimmers and files can be used, but be careful not to trim too much. A vet would be helpful. He may not be able to get enough to eat with the beak problem. Feeding him wet soaked chicken feed in a tall pan would help. Here is some reading about beaks:
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/trim-chickens-beak/

Can you get some more photos of his beak, one of all of him and his legs/feet too?
How old is he?
I agree, it's way too long.

The skin peeling may be due to nutritional deficiency if he's not eating very well.
What do you feed him?
Vet care is best if that's an option for you, but in the mean time, I would start him on poultry vitamins. Poultry Cell would be a good choice. Dose him at 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight once a day.

Have you checked him well for lice/mites?

How old is he? I can't believe he got this far with that beak. I don't know how he can get enough to eat.

His beak appears to be a genetic deformity unless he's several years old and has never had a beak trim. I doubt trimming now will achieve much as the quick has likely grown along with the beak and it can't be trimmed enough to make it work.

Do you have any history on him at all? What were the circumstances associated with acquiring him? I wouldn't be surprised he has other genetic issues that are affecting his health.

Sorry I can't tell you what to do for him. Please try to tell us more about him if you can.
His Bottom beak broke when his last owner had him. I took him in after his owner reached out to me that he didn’t have space for him. But I make sure he’s able to eat I feed him off of my hand to make it easier on him. He eats good.

Can you get some more photos of his beak, one of all of him and his legs/feet too?
How old is he?
I agree, it's way too long.

The skin peeling may be due to nutritional deficiency if he's not eating very well.
What do you feed him?
Vet care is best if that's an option for you, but in the mean time, I would start him on poultry vitamins. Poultry Cell would be a good choice. Dose him at 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight once a day.

Have you checked him well for lice/mites?
Yea of course and I’m honestly not very sure how old he is. He eats good I make sure he does. And i don’t have the money to take him to the vet but if I can’t figure out what’s wrong I’m gonna have to. Thank you I’ll do that!
D51D7C11-8868-4107-A64C-294954512DF6.jpeg

Attachments

• 403EA223-D70F-4B9F-9720-4183E4F0ED17.jpeg
    403EA223-D70F-4B9F-9720-4183E4F0ED17.jpeg
    713.5 KB · Views: 7
  • EAA1A45A-D102-45CD-888A-D353A3F1755C.jpeg
    EAA1A45A-D102-45CD-888A-D353A3F1755C.jpeg
    716.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 86D4CECA-E27F-4CC4-8781-7E093A00157E.jpeg
    86D4CECA-E27F-4CC4-8781-7E093A00157E.jpeg
    699.3 KB · Views: 6

Back