Help!

Lexiee's Chicks

Chirping
Oct 5, 2017
Wynne, Ar
I thought our duck had a niacin difficiency so I got polynison. I gave him 2ml yesterday. He isn’t eating now. Does he need more, did I give too much? Any and all info is very much appreciated. He is 8 months old and weighs maybe 5 pounds.

Could you post a video of him? To post a video you need to upload it to a video platform like Youtube or vimeo, then copy/paste the link here.

What is he being fed? How long have these problems been going on? What is Polynison, could you post a picture of the bottle?

What kind of symptoms is he exhibiting?
Does he seem aware of his surroundings?
How do his poops look?
Any respiratory related problems, like heavy breathing, tail bobbing, etc?

Getting her health sorted out is your top priority right now, but once that’s sorted you’re gonna want to get her another duck friend (definitively sexed female)

ducks are hardcore social animals and while they can make do with chickens or other animals, they’re happiest and healthiest with a duck companion. If you can swing it, another girl duck for her to live with would be great for her

It sounds to me, due to you feeding her chick feed, and scratch grains, which does not contain enough niacin for a Pekin, she developed a niacin deficiency. If she's been showing problems walking since she was a youngster, odds are she will never be completely better because the bones have become so set in place.

You can try, and I would definitely recommend start administering B complex, and starting her on a feed intended for ducks, or all poultry. In addition to that, lots of water therapy, she may be able to improve some.

Her wings are not a problem, that can be seen occasionally in ducks.
THANK YOU!! She loves the water and splashes around etc. I gave her the b complex when I got home. I have also started her on the correct feed. Thank you so much for everything and I will update you all tomorrow.

Getting her health sorted out is your top priority right now, but once that’s sorted you’re gonna want to get her another duck friend (definitively sexed female)

ducks are hardcore social animals and while they can make do with chickens or other animals, they’re happiest and healthiest with a duck companion. If you can swing it, another girl duck for her to live with would be great for her
I will definitely get her a companion.

Back
Top Bottom