Hen Acting Different

SBWilkins

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2021
I’m in northern Vermont with 7 month old chickens. 7 hens 1 rooster. My normally lovable, friendly hen has been acting strange the last couple of days. Normally free range chickens but we have snow and a couple days were extra cold so I made them stay in their coop. My assumption was she was getting picked on out of boredom but she doesn’t seem to be scared or cautious of them. She hasn’t laid an egg in 2 days but her vent looks clear and normal. As I’m not with her 24/7 I don’t know if she’s eating or drinking normal but when I throw out some scratch or give treats she’s not interested and just does her own thing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hello and welcome to BYC. First do you have a lamp in the coop? Hens need a certain amount of light and calcium in their diet to produce eggs. Egg production slows down or to a halt in winter. When it gets cold chickens activities slow down and they do not do much. You can tell if she is eating by feeling her crop. When chickens are ready for bed the fill up on food.. that probably be the best time when you want to check her. I wouldn't worry too much.. just keep an eye on her is she develops any odd symptoms.

Hello and welcome to BYC. First do you have a lamp in the coop? Hens need a certain amount of light and calcium in their diet to produce eggs. Egg production slows down or to a halt in winter. When it gets cold chickens activities slow down and they do not do much. You can tell if she is eating by feeling her crop. When chickens are ready for bed the fill up on food.. that probably be the best time when you want to check her. I wouldn't worry too much.. just keep an eye on her is she develops any odd symptoms.
Yes they have a light that kicks on in the morning and again in the afternoon for a couple of hours. She was laying religiously until I made them stay inside. Her crop definitely is not full like the rest of the girls so I think she’s eating some but not nearly like she would. All the rest of the girls seem to be acting normal. Even with the snow they’re wandering around the yard and hanging out in the compost whenever they can. She leaves the coop and will sort of wander around but not like she used to. I’ve felt around her belly and between her legs and don’t feel anything odd.

Yes they have a light that kicks on in the morning and again in the afternoon for a couple of hours. She was laying religiously until I made them stay inside. Her crop definitely is not full like the rest of the girls so I think she’s eating some but not nearly like she would. All the rest of the girls seem to be acting normal. Even with the snow they’re wandering around the yard and hanging out in the compost whenever they can. She leaves the coop and will sort of wander around but not like she used to. I’ve felt around her belly and between her legs and don’t feel anything odd.
Have you noticed a foul smell on her breath? That could be a sign for sour crop. Since you mentioned the compost. You could bring her in to really monitor her eating and drinking. It could just be a mild case of stress from being locked up.

Any advice is appreciated.
This is what I do when I have a bird that is acting off.
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Might be cold stress too.
I've found a dose of electrolytes can really help with that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

northern Vermont
Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @SBWilkins
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1641510244204.png

Back
Top Bottom