Hen attacked by rooster

heerchickchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Lakeland Fl
I went out to today to check on every one and noticed my Delaware rooster trying to breed a hen..he was being very aggressive towards her..he is approx 8-9 mons old. I broke them up and put her away from him as we have many other hens out there. I went back out later only to find what I am assuming was the same hen half dead with a turkey picking at her..she is pretty beat up..and very traumatized I dont think she is going to make it, however I would like to try..I washed her head area with a warm cloth and rinsed her mouth out with a syringe (she had lots of dirt in her mouth). Her neck seems real wobbly and she cant open her eyes. There was blood on the cloth when I wiped her off. I also have her wrapped in towell in warm spot in a quiet dark room. I cant tell if they pecked her eyes or where the blood is coming from. Any sugesstions would be helpful, I hate to see her suffer .
sad.png

Yeah I read that, very strange hers was a Delaware as well about the same age, two different people tho..lol. We usually dont keep the agressive roosters.. they are not agressive to us just to the hens and I dont like that..we get rid of them..This is first time I have seen him acting this way..I guess he is just coming into manhood so to speak. Too bad because he is a very handsome boy.
sad.png

hit.gif
I am sooo sorry for your hen!! Poor Baby!!

I'd do away with this rooster!! He is at the age now to see how he is going to be with the hens. You don't want a roo that will attack like this.
somad.gif

Sounds like your hen is in shock and even injured, maybe severly. You need to check her over carefully for injuries. He may have used his tallons (claws) on her to inflict puncture wounds that you can't see thru the feathers. The blood is coming from some where. Look closely to find the source. Once you find the source, we will be better able to tell you how to care for her. The turkey was just probably taking advantage of her in a weakened state. Once birds taste blood... they will go canibalistic and eat their own.

I once had a rooster that would be cruel to hens that would not submit to him. Those hens were treated cruely, chased around, not allowed out of the coop, not allowed to feed with the others, or even roost and sleep with them. And breeding was too harsh. Roosters like that are bad seeds and should be put down.
rant.gif

Your poor hen may have been treated like this and you just didn't see it....we can't always be there. After checking her over carefully for injuries or puncture wounds. Let us know what you find. In the mean time, just keep doing what you are doing. Let her know you are there and speak in a soft tone. I think she's in shock and maybe weakened from her overall treatment from this rooster.
hit.gif

I'd unwrap her from the towel. This may make her feel like she's still being restrained or attacked. Keep her warm, dry, and inside. Keep food and water at the ready in case she wants it. The first day is always the hardest. She should show some kind of improvement tomorrow.
fl.gif

Shock is a horrible thing in chickens/birds..... they don't always pull thru the shock of an attack.
hugs.gif

I'm praying that she does and I will look foward to an update in the morning. I feel soo bad for you and you're hen. Praying she pulls thru!!!
hugs.gif

Put the monster down...and put him down hard.

I feel so bad for your hen and I know exactly what you're going through right now...its been a rough 4 days now for me (same exact thing happened to one of my hens on Wed).

Back
Top Bottom