hen comb has black spots that bleed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laurelbrookhens, Mar 24, 2018.

1. I don't think its frost bite as the girls have a warming lamp. Does this indicate any particular disease? How should I treat it?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

there are several possibilities as to what it could be.... .. could you post a photo?

The Phantom likes this.
  3. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Could you post a picture please?

4. Sorry I don't know how to post a photo. She's a Rhode Island Red. The spots aren't tiny speckles but not huge either. They bled when I tried to clean the spots thinking maybe it was was just dirt. Her legs are also not pretty. They are bumpy looking. She acts healthy.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

well... that isn't much information. ...

but at a guess I would leave it be and see if it improves or progresses. :confused:

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Usually black spots on combs are dried blood and indicate that she has been pecked by another chicken, possibly during a pecking order dispute.
    Bumpy legs sound like scaly leg mites. You need to slather them in oil or grease, like Vaseline or coconut oil every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks to treat for leg mites.

jonalisa likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: