Hen has something weird in her eye PICS!

ZepChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
coos bay OR
One of our ten month old hens has a piece of "membrane" (we think) in her eye just kind of 'hanging there'. Any help would be appreciated!!

Femi
DSC06918.jpg

This is a close-up, but it is pretty blurry
DSC06919.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It just happened. I pick this hen up every day and have never seen this until two days ago. Should I do anything about it? I am worried the other hens might peck at it. Thank you!

Looks like her third eyelid as well. But perhaps she got something in her eye so it got irritated.

I'd check to see if there is something stuck in it and keep an eye on it to see if it is infected. If it is, antibiotic eye drops may help.

Flush the eye with sterile saline (you can make this yourself with 1/4 tsp of salt boiled for five minets in quart of water...make fresh daily) ... if it gets worse (inflamed) you can apply an opthamalic AB eye ointment after flushing with the sterile saline.

Ouch. That looks irritating.

That has happened to my hen once as well, but it eventually just went away.

If it is like that all the time, maybe you should take her to the vet, so they can just check it out.

Let us know how it goes.
smile.png

Thank you everyone! I think we might try saline-solution but I was wondering how much we should rinse her eye with and at what rate? Like, slowly, (obviously not fast fast), how much, just simple questions. Thank you once again!! I extremely appreciate it!!

It looks alot like cherry eye in dogs. my bulldog had one come and go for about 3 months then it stayed out.I had surgery done to put it in and pin it.It has never come back and has not been a issue.Vet said it was cosmetic only but it seemed to be a irratateing(sp) to her. She may have just loved the attention from having it though.

Eyes heal quickly, so I wouldn't mess with it too much other than a little saline rinse.
I personally use saline for contact lenses.

Back
Top Bottom