Hen hiding in corner at roosting time

Jul 20, 2022
In researching in this forum, I was very anxious when others mentioned adding Vitamin B or antibiotics and so on as if they have all of these medicines in chicken-form available to them at a moments' notice. I have dealt with a sick hen in the past and now it looks like another is ill.

I'm particularly concerned about how to source medicines for chickens. Where do you get them?? How do you figure out the dosage? So often it seems that handling/treating/stressing/isolating chickens might be worse for them when you barely know what you're doing. I do have a local vet who treats birds, but it is clear I need to have a complete medical set-up and actual medicines/vitamins ready since these illnesses, once noticed, can progress very quickly.

If someone can provide a run-down of the major chicken medical problems and links to medicines I would be so grateful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
When you are embarking on a new endeavor, you can't possibly know everything. I'm sure you prepared yourself before you got your chickens, researching what they need to eat to be healthy, what their living quarters need to be to keep them safe and sheltered. In other words, you know the basics.

Then as new things arise, you research those, learning more as time goes by. Understand that no one can know everything, even those of us who have been keeping chickens for a decade or longer. As a new problem comes up that puzzles us, we come here and start a thread just as you've done. We ask advice, and get tips and new knowledge. It's ongoing, never ending.

What is your hen's age? What is your location? It can give us quite a bit of information as to climate, regional poultry diseases, access to meds, etc. Get some photos of her, showing posture, eyes, and tell us more about what seems to be going on with her.

As to medicines and vitamins, keeping Poultry Nutri-drench on hand for a sick chicken, and vitamin B-complex tablets for leg weakness or lameness, and vitamin E 400iu for neurological issues is a good idea. Vitamins for people are also for poultry. I buy mine at Walmart. You give a pill to a chicken just as you would a cat , a dog, or a human. Pop it in the mouth.

A first aid kit for injuries is a good idea to assemble before you need it. Here are the basics:

Epsom salts non-scented
Blu-kote or Blue Lotion for treating tiny wounds
Triple antibiotic ointment
Non-stick gauze pads
Vetrap (elastic bandage)

I keep an assortment of antibiotics on hand to treat immediately a sick chicken. Some bacterial infections can kill a chicken in less than 24 hours. Having an antibiotic on hand can save precious time and save a life. I recommend ordering just one at this time. Amoxicillin, a broad spectrum antibiotic that can treat most of the more serious infections. And Corid liquid for treating coccidiosis. I need to know your location as some places forbid buying antibiotics without a vet prescription. But I can suggest places to order them if it's legal where you live.

Oh, thank you so much! I'm in Southern South Dakota (Hot Springs) and temps right now at night dip into the mid 30s and daytime temps vary from 75 down to the 40s right now. Chicago is 6 months old and has been laying for about 4-5 weeks without issue.

Probably there has been a lot of recent stress due to switching from tiny coop to shed conversion (which is still incomplete but they've been transitioning for 3 days). I noticed no change in behavior or health in Chicago before tonight roosting time. I want to believe the problem is stress from the change, but I suspect it really is illness. She was huddled behind that brick when the rest of the flock was on the roost. Not normal!
She has had a bit of a dirty butt, but that's what Bernice had when she was ill and also after her illness. I began to suspect that this might be common in the Cinnamon Queen, a heavy and low- -to- the- ground breed. I will check her first thing tomorrow and I guess spray her with water/soap and see if she has Gleet (?). Or I will do it right now if you think I should wake them up. I don't want to lose her.

I knew Amoxacillan would be important to have on hand, but every time I tried to order it from Chewey it was out of stock. I'll try again. I know these illnesses often progress extremely quickly.

I'll try to find Poultry Drench. The only local store is Bomgars, but I can drive 2 hrs to Rapid if need be. I have Epsom salts and triple antibiotic but not the other things you listed.

My previous sick chick, Bernice, had coccidiosis (and maybe Gleet, sour crop, etc), but I depended upon the vet (3 visits) for treatment since I did not know what medicine to use or where to get it. I'm new to SD and chickens.

First vet I took Bernice to clearly was inexperienced with chickens and was focused upon Avian flu, for which there were no sxs. Bernice saw the other vet for her subsequent visits. Maybe Chicago has coccidiosis?. There was a vague suggestion of using medicated feed, but then I learned that is only available via prescription and seemingly difficult to source. I live in a rural area, very small population, limited resources. Whatever I can order online for the future I should certainly do.

Any suggestions on how I might source Amoxicillin or Corid liquid would be great. Also the local vet that treats birds is nice and very reasonable.

Should I go out to the coop and check Chicago's behind tonight? Should she be in the separate coop and run (where she can see but not directly contact her flock mates)?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Thank you. I will examine her in the morning and try to determine whether to separate her. I will order the Amoxicillin and Corid asap, but won't treat until I am more clear what's going on. Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom