Hen House Floor Material

Dustin07

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2020
Gig Harbor
My Coop
My Coop
I'm sorry for asking a question I'm sure has come up before, but does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other regarding the floor inside the hen house? Mine will be about 2ft off the ground with a plywood floor. I've opted against any treated lumber around the hens, so I'm looking for the best way to 'treat' the lumber for longevity. I could paint it as I'm painting the rest of the coop to fight water/rot on the inside, or I've seen someone else use vinyl type flooring material.

Just curious what anyone else has or is doing. Paint seems safe?

I'm sorry for asking a question I'm sure has come up before, but does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other regarding the floor inside the hen house? Mine will be about 2ft off the ground with a plywood floor. I've opted against any treated lumber around the hens, so I'm looking for the best way to 'treat' the lumber for longevity. I could paint it as I'm painting the rest of the coop to fight water/rot on the inside, or I've seen someone else use vinyl type flooring material.

Just curious what anyone else has or is doing. Paint seems safe?
I used 2 coats of Porch and Floor paint. It's holding up fine.

We have a 4 x 8 raised coop. We do have poop boards. They get scooped regularly. There are pine shavings on the plywood floor. The floor does not get any moisture. I think largely due to the poop boards. Never got around to painting it. That is a long way of saying, paint will work, but for our coop, seems like it has not been needed.

Any of the following is fine: paint, Black Jack 57, linoleum/vinyl type flooring. Mainly you want to protect the floor from moisture.

I only have pressure treated wood on the outside of the coop (the skids the entire unit rests on), really isn't a need for it inside.

that's how I have mine right now. the actual "foundation" is 4x4 treated lumber, which is also sitting on concrete bricks. the rest is painted. Thanks for the tips on flooring!

Thanks, that's very helpful. that was essentially my plan I just wanted to see if anyone was avoiding paint for any reason and using something else.

any chance you'd have a picture you don't mind showing? I'm thinking a drawer, but it may need to be a good 6" tall maybe. I'm not sure how big to make it... My coop is 4x6' so yeah at 6" it could get heavy. especially when... full. lol

Here is a picture that shows the reality of a used poop board. The coop is 4' x 8'. Each poop board is 4' long. I lift them off and place them in the coop. Lean in to scoop. They also are not wide enough which causes some spill over. On my to do list to improve them.

Attachments

• pboards.JPG
    pboards.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 42

Back
Top Bottom