Hen is attacking Rooster

jackbolton3

Chirping
Feb 21, 2021
So I have a peculiar situation I have a breeder trio of Coturnix Quail and randomly after all this time one of the hens is starting to seek out the rooster and attack it. Now before you say 2 hens isn't enough I've never had a problem with him oveermating them or fighting, I think he has low libido XD

But if I have to separate them should I take the roo out or the mean hen out? It sucks because she's my only blue egg hen and now she hates my only blue roo.. But it's just pitiful he just sits in the corner staring at the wall. Another thing too is when she has attacked she makes a sound I've never heard any of my quail make ever. I have to put her in timeout until she calms down. I never see any indication of the others instigating it. She just snaps randomly..

What should I do??

I had a hen who decided she hated males after she went broody. She raised her chicks in her feminist ways too. She and her daughters attacked the male I put them with. I've since put them with a few tougher males in a large coop. They sort of tolerate them, but they still show the boys who's boss.
The amazonian quails. New breed 😂

Update:::

Alright thanks to you all I've finnaly got this fixed haha!!

I put her in isolation for a whole week, not a couple days but a week. I think one person mentioned that they reset haha that's exactly what this feels like.

One thing I will say though is I'm not sure if it's the male or her but one of them is making this almost nonstop really low purring sound they've been almost shoulder touching close since I put her back in..

I really appreciate all of your help maybe they're little trio can keep going a little longer.

Another thing: Even though he wasn't getting any when I took her out the Roo crowed nonstop for the whole day XD he was maaaadd hahaha!!

None of my gals have ever turned broody yet not sure they maternal type so i incubate 🥰🥰

Attachments

• 20210220_231932.jpg
    20210220_231932.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 3
Ok I'll give it a shot. Do you have any idea as to why this has happend? Is it just a random thing that's happend?
My guess is he probably pushed her to her limit one day and she ran him off, which taught her she’s bigger and can get her way, now she is a tyrant. She needs some losses to get her back to normal. For me, I have a very big roo who has a large harem. If I put a cranky girl with them, she normally loses her inflated ego pretty quickly, but the male also needs time to get his confidence back. Luckily with quail, they can reset in just a day or so. I find they even look smaller when they’ve lost confidence, and larger when they super self assured, probably due to posture and feather fluffing.

Update::

I've noticed she will not let him breed her now I had free time today so I watched them secretly for an hour or so. I'm seeing signs that hes actually starting to slightly over breed the other hen. She had more feathers missing from her head than she usually does (not serious but its a noticble change). I think 2 hens is his perfect ratio and now he only has access to one.. I think I'm starting to piece this together finnaly!

Back
Top Bottom