hen just began being savagely pecked

lisafromvermont

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
i have 10 hens and a rooster. the last 6 had been added ~5 months ago and have been fine until the other day when one of the newer ones didn't want to come back in the coop at the end of the day, and when we put her in she was attacked by many. today she is sitting on the roost, has a broken beak and many feathers have been pulled off. when she came down to eat she was immediately attacked. any suggestions? i am have only had chickens since last spring so am still very inexperienced and appreciate any advice. i am open to either giving her away or dispatching her if hat is the best option; i hate to see her suffering so. thanks for any help...

Welcome to BYC.

I would at least separate her for observation. Sometimes chickens can turn on a sick flock mate. If after she has a couple days observation and she is acting normal try her with the flock again. Be ready to remove her if the others attack her. That is when I would remove her permanently.

Greetings from Kansas, Lisa, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us but sorry to hear about your hen. I agree with Den in Penn - sometimes chickens can be ruthless when they see vulnerability from another in the flock. You might isolate but if she can't be reintegrated something more permanent will have to be done. Good luck with your situation!

Back
Top Bottom