These are called slab sided eggs and are caused when there's a traffic jam in the oviduct and one egg rests against another. There are several causes. The eggs are fine though.
She's laying them like this every day, so I worry about egg binding and such. But she's never acted egg bound... so I guess I'll stay vigilant and hope she works the kinks out.

Part of me feels she'll always be an oddball layer since she suffers from a heart murmur. She was so strong coming back from her heat stroke episode, I'd be devastated to see her go over laying issues.

She’s just the way she is, I suppose. What the heck!
Btw I love your name!

Yes, I agree--I think I will just live and let lay (weird eggs). But of course, we extra watchful just in case.

Thanks about the name. We named each of our first flock of seven girls after the cast of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Incidentally, they have each lived up to their names for better or worse lol. Buffy the ISA Brown and Willow the RIR are the flock leaders and work to together to get everyone roosting come bed time, and also are the first to alert the others about potential dangers. Cordelia (AKA Cordy) the BR is gorgeous and really sassy, sometimes snappy, but has a huge heart. Drusilla the GLW is the big bully, she has a sadistic side (but is striking to look at). Glory the BO is a ball of fury in the best possible sense--truly a huge diva. Then there's the two EE's, Darla (beautiful) and Faith (goes by the beat of her own drum and wants to lead), who live up to their names in their own ways as well.

Can hot weather precipitate flat egg laying? One hen seems to be doing it rather consistently.

Back
Top Bottom