Hen Laying Song But NO Eggs

rayrose

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Columbia, SC
My Coop
My Coop
This morning I was awakened at 7:00 with a 10 minute long very loud egg laying song. Usually my girls will sing, until I go into the coop. When I did, there was no egg. I have 13 girls that turned 19 weeks old today.
At least 4 of them are laying. Why all of the racket and no egg. They all lay in the nesting boxes. Is this a normal occurrence?

The egg song is also an alarm from what I've seen with my flock so maybe she heard a noise that scared her or she seen a predator and sounded her alarm, also if one hen sings her egg song after laying an egg other hens will join in so maybe one hen layed an egg and started singing and she just joined in with her

They were all inside the coop, which is like Ft. Knox. So she couldn't have seen anything to frighten her. Also, none of the other hens had laid an egg, I checked again around 10:00 and still no egg, but when I let them out into the run at !:00 there was an egg in one of the nest boxes. She must have decided to pre announce it by about 5 hours. Such fanfare. I have to get a baby camera for the coop, so I'll know who's laying. Does anybody do this, or am I the only crazy one.

This morning I was awakened at 7:00 with a 10 minute long very loud egg laying song. Usually my girls will sing, until I go into the coop. When I did, there was no egg. I have 13 girls that turned 19 weeks old today.
At least 4 of them are laying. Why all of the racket and no egg. They all lay in the nesting boxes. Is this a normal occurrence?
Yes this time of year for everyone I know including myself all of the chickens stopped laying.

Mine will make this noise and it usually has nothing to do with egg laying. My RIR is my only layer right now, and she does this song occasionally, but actually never when she has just laid. Sometimes it’s in the morning, sometimes later in the day, but not right after she’s laid like I’ve seen other birds do.

I swear mine sing it just to see if I'll run out and check in on them. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but I can almost hear them chuckling at me if I do. :p
yes! :gig
Especially new layers!

Re: alarm call sounds much like 'egg song'.
Just because they don't see something, they may hear something that we are unaware of.

She's just started laying, and I'm wondering, if I have to go through this every time she lays, or will it subside. My neighbors are going to kill me.
Hopefully she will settle into the process soon, it can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out....or she may just always be a screamer.
Better take your neighbors some eggs, if you think that might help.

Back
Top Bottom