Hen lethargic, loss of appetite, hard crop

izzyrose

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2022
Hello! My 1 year old hen is suddenly under the weather today. She is laying down a lot and not eating. Her comb, vent, feet and face all appear normal. No strange odors or parasite I have seen. The only thing I noticed is her crop has a hard mass (feels like it could be feed, oyster shell, grit). She laid a normal egg this morning. I am thinking she might have an impacted crop?

I have given her vegetable oil, massaged the crop and cut off access to feed and other birds.

Any help with diagnosis or treatment is very appreciated! Thank you.

Have you checked her crop early in the morning to make sure it's empty? If not, make sure to do that.

Here's an article on crop issues.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How full is her crop?
Hi thanks for responding! I checked this morning before she had access to feed and there was a hard lump in her crop. It was very noticeable compared to my other hens. It’s about the size of a golf ball. I’m able to move it around and squish it with massage.

Have you checked her crop early in the morning to make sure it's empty? If not, make sure to do that.

Here's an article on crop issues.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How full is her crop?
Hi thanks for responding! I checked this morning before she had access to feed and there was a hard lump in her crop. It was very noticeable compared to my other hens. It’s about the size of a golf ball. I’m able to move it around and squish it with massage.

I would do the massages as directed in the article for treatment of impacted crop. Hopefully it'll help!

Also, I wouldn't hold off on feed, she needs it. So try getting some fish, meat, eggs, or moistened feed into her. :)

Do you mind getting a picture of her just so I can see how she's looking?

C87E2281-FAAA-4B43-8FDC-C78C5657D419.jpeg
I would do the massages as directed in the article for treatment of impacted crop. Hopefully it'll help!

Also, I wouldn't hold off on feed, she needs it. So try getting some fish, meat, eggs, or moistened feed into her. :)

Do you mind getting a picture of her just so I can see how she's looking?
Great advice thank you! I’m happy to report after three rounds of massage and vegetable oil the hard lump in her crop is getting smaller!

I gave her some moistened feed which she ate- her appetite is back! Im continuing to monitor her and I’ll give her some scrambled egg for added protein.

Here she is laying down

Great advice thank you! I’m happy to report after three rounds of massage and vegetable oil the hard lump in her crop is getting smaller!

I gave her some moistened feed which she ate- her appetite is back! Im continuing to monitor her and I’ll give her some scrambled egg for added protein.
Awesome! I'm so glad to hear that!
Here she is laying down
Aw, she's adorable! She hardly looks sick.

Back
Top Bottom