Hen losing feathers

TheChickenLady1

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 23, 2016
New Jersey
I just got my first hens about 4 days ago. I have 3 Golden Comets and one called Merryweather seems to be losing feathers. We can't quite remember if she had a loss of feathers when we got her, but today when she was dust bathing it was quite obvious. She has no feathers at the place where her bottom meets her tail but I think I can blame that on treading in her previous home. When she moved her wings and feathers around while dust bathing, there was just pink flesh under there. It had small black dots but I didn't think they were moving. If anyone knows what's could be happening please let me know. I've included photos.

I don't think the photos went through

Attachments

• IMG_6355.JPG
    IMG_6355.JPG
    519.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6357.JPG
    IMG_6357.JPG
    517.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6359.JPG
    IMG_6359.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 8
She's probably molting. That happens right around this time of year and is totally normal. She'll have all of her feathers back by winter. Those black things might be new feathers growing in.
By the way, :welcome!

Hi,
if she is over 16 weeks old put her on "Nutrena feather fixer" poultry feed. it will carry her through the molt in great shape .her new feathers will be beautiful and she may even lay through the molt. it's great stuff! another BYCER recommended it to me and I was amazed at the results with my Light Sussex .
Karen

Hi,
if she is over 16 weeks old put her on "Nutrena feather fixer" poultry feed. it will carry her through the molt in great shape .her new feathers will be beautiful and she may even lay through the molt. it's great stuff! another BYCER recommended it to me and I was amazed at the results with my Light Sussex .
Karen
Thanks, this seems like a great idea. Would this be okay for my other two chickens, who aren't molting, to eat as well? Or should I somehow feed her seperately?

Back
Top Bottom