Hen not doing well overall *videos*

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
I have another thread (linked) but her symptoms have changed after the treatment was finished.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-has-one-eye-closed.1524456/page-2#post-25704597

I was on vacation for 9 days and came back to a stressed flock with some questionable poo and a few sneezing. I treated sneezing with Tylosin over the winter, possible IB, so the stress could have brought the sneezing for some.

Pink's left eye was 1/2 closed and she had sneezing fits. She was the only one with these particular symptoms. No nasal discharge.

I started a Tylosin treatment for the flock right away.
Their fecal test showed roundworm eggs, though no roundworms found in poo, the coop/run or fenced area that I could find. I started the 5 day treatment of safeguard in mash.

Finished both treatments on Wednesday. I found 1 small adult roundworm during their worming. I'm not sure who from. And the flock as a whole are doing well. A sneeze here and there but nothing too concerning at this point.

Pink has gotten worse. She just looks "tired". Since bringing her inside she is not eating though she is drinking her water quite well. She will have some sneezing fits but not often. Both her eyes close now, but I think she looks more tired than sick. Her comb, face and wattles are slowly getting more pale. She is content to just lay by me while I'm sitting with her.
In the last 2 weeks she has had a tylosin treatment, deworming treatment and yesterday I gave her a calcium tablet just in case, though she did lay 2 days earlier. She has gained some weight over the last two weeks. I do not feel anything in her abdomen like an egg or fluid.

She has now stopped eating. She was definitely eating during the treatments. I was outside with them every morning be certain everyone was eating their mash. I was outside multiple times following and checking on them and watching their poo for worms.

On Thursday evening I noticed her just hanging around with me while I was weeding. That is weird. I allowed them into the fenced area, where I'm trying to grow grass, and the flock was in heaven. I brought her inside that night. Her crop was not as full as it should be. She has now mostly stopped eating, mash and egg have been offered, but surprisingly still drinking her water well. Her poo is clear liquid with dark green pellet like droppings. She is laying here with me. Occasional stretch, preen walk around and then lays back down.
I've attached 2 videos. First has her looking "tired" to me. This is her normal state at this point. At the end you will hear a sneeze and I got a shot of her poop.
The second video is her sneezing.

I am worried, she is my son's favorite and the sweetest of all the hens. I'm not sure I can fix this but I'm hoping someone has seen this before and knows what's wrong.

PXL_20220514_142939582.jpg

Since this hen's problem began right after being wormed, I suspect she may be suffering from clogging from a heavy worm load and also from shock from being wormed, which happens when there's a heavy worm load.

What you can do is give her a molasses flush or an Epsom salt flush to flush the dead worms out of her digestive system.

Try the molasses flush first since it's easier. Mix one teaspoon of molasses in a fourth of a cup of warm water and have this hen either drink it all or syringe it into her. All of it.

It should work overnight. If she perks up and feels better and her crop starts moving material through it again, that's all you need to do. The sugar in the molasses will also treat the shock.

If it doesn't make a difference in her behavior, then I recommend the three-day Epsom salt flush. It has to be done twice a day for the three days and you would need to syringe half a cup at a time into her crop. It's very labor intensive, but it works well, and chickens tolerate this flush very well. I've given it to several chickens of mine, and they seem to be energized by it.

Since this hen's problem began right after being wormed, I suspect she may be suffering from clogging from a heavy worm load and also from shock from being wormed, which happens when there's a heavy worm load.

What you can do is give her a molasses flush or an Epsom salt flush to flush the dead worms out of her digestive system.

Try the molasses flush first since it's easier. Mix one teaspoon of molasses in a fourth of a cup of warm water and have this hen either drink it all or syringe it into her. All of it.

It should work overnight. If she perks up and feels better and her crop starts moving material through it again, that's all you need to do. The sugar in the molasses will also treat the shock.

If it doesn't make a difference in her behavior, then I recommend the three-day Epsom salt flush. It has to be done twice a day for the three days and you would need to syringe half a cup at a time into her crop. It's very labor intensive, but it works well, and chickens tolerate this flush very well. I've given it to several chickens of mine, and they seem to be energized by it.
Out of curiosity, could the chicken sitter throwing their food on the ground and not rinsing and filling the waters have caused some of these issues? I saw her on camera dump food on the ground where they poop. We have raised feeders and I do not feed them on the ground. And if the waters were empty she obviously wasn't keeping them clean and filled.

I'll do the molasses treatment. I'll also bring another fecal in for testing. I'll submit just hers and then a group one from the coop.

Thank you!

Chickens are just as affected by bacteria as we humans are. If we ate where we poop, we wouldn't live long healthy lives. People who believe that chickens won't be affected by bacteria on the ground contaminating the feed shouldn't be surprised when they have a lot of sick chickens. Just because chickens scratch in the dirt to find insects and seeds to eat doesn't mean you should throw their feed onto the ground in the run on a regular basis. Water quickly develops bacteria and must be changed daily. Chicken care isn't for lazy people.

Chickens are just as affected by bacteria as we humans are. If we ate where we poop, we wouldn't live long healthy lives. People who believe that chickens won't be affected by bacteria on the ground contaminating the feed shouldn't be surprised when they have a lot of sick chickens. Just because chickens scratch in the dirt to find insects and seeds to eat doesn't mean you should throw their feed onto the ground in the run on a regular basis. Water quickly develops bacteria and must be changed daily. Chicken care isn't for lazy people.
Thanks for the molasses idea. She has perked up a bit. No more looking tired or standing with her eyes closed. Her poop is runny but still no worms. I was out cleaning the coop and run and I still have only seen that one roundworm (maybe 2" long at most) since the start of their treatment. Her weird sneeze appears to be shorter stints but it is still there. Could she have needed the extra boost of vitamins after the stress and treatments? Should I wait until tomorrow to see her progress or start the salt flush today?

I did check up on the chicken sitter (my friend works there) and she did graduate Friday. I am dumbfounded that she can graduate vet school yet can't care for chickens. This experience has made me never want to leave them for so long again.

And I thought the 5 day treatment was going to be easier on them. I wonder how bad she could have gotten with 1 large dose. Fingers crossed I find an even happier hen again tomorrow 🤞🤞

DS is so much more aware about any food/treats on the ground now. I've shown him how to rake out the larger areas and scoop out parts of the run if he sees poop while also explaining the part it played in the girls being stressed and getting sick. This was a great opportunity to teach him more about the husbandry of chicken care and why it is so important. I have spent more time teaching him about giving attention and love, which is also important, but he is now old enough to help scoop poop safely.

Back
Top Bottom