Hen pecking each other

Chirpychirper

Hatching
Jun 11, 2016
Abiquiu, NM
Hey, so since winter has started (granted it hasn't gotten that cold, 20s at the coldest and not much snow) the more dominant hens have started pecking at the other ones. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with this?

When cooped up in the winter boredom sets in. They can handle the cold well and even some snow so if possible still allow them to free range. Flockblock for them to peck at, small amounts of scratch or BOSS scattered in the run/coop gives them something to do. If things get really bad you can get some Pin Less Peepers to put on the worst offenders.

What are the dimensions of your coop and how many birds do you have? Maybe they're feeling crowded?

Sour has some good suggestions for giving them something to occupy themselves and you might find other boredom busters to try out by using the search box.

Good luck!

Let them out to free range if you can. Imagine being cooped up in the house, all winter long with the same people.They need light and fresh air and room to roam if possible. (If they'll go. Mine don't like snow, so often choose not to).

Create a more interesting run......Lots of roosts and things to peck.....I give Alfalfa hay to scratch through, pine cones to break apart and eat the seeds....Fresh sand to play in.....I still free range and put down straw so they have a place to go and warm up feet also have roosts out in the yard so feet do not get cold....

Cheers!

Make sure you are feeding a higher protein feed, especially if you feed extras. Protein deficiencies can cause bird to peck each, confinement is the other reason, so don't lock them in and keep them busy.

Create a more interesting run......Lots of roosts and things to peck.....I give Alfalfa hay to scratch through, pine cones to break apart and eat the seeds....Fresh sand to play in.....I still free range and put down straw so they have a place to go and warm up feet also have roosts out in the yard so feet do not get cold....

Cheers!

I think chickens do not have too much nerve sin the legs so they don't really feel the cold air.

Back
Top Bottom