hen raising her chicks

pointerfarm1

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2014
I know how to raise chicks without a momma. But i have a hen that has successfully hatched an egg. What differs in caring for the chick. Will the hen get the food for the chick? I still need starter im sure. She also has about 6 more eggs under her. One or two will be hatching in the next day or so but the others have a week or so. Will she still be able to sit? What will she do? Please help

Last edited:
From what I have read on here:

The new chicks can go up to 3 days without food or water. During this time the moma will get off the nest and show the chicks where food and water is and show them what to do.

It is unlikley she will remain on the nest for much longer than 2-3 days after first hatch as her priority will change from hatching eggs to looking after the newborns, you may want to set up another arrangement in preperation for this should it happen.

The baby chicks usually go along with the hen and your hen should take good care of them. Some hens just aren't meant to be mothers and the chicks will care for themselves. I haven't had a hen raise chicks but know a few friends, and my mother, who had capable hens that managed to care for their young on their own.

Good luck with your chicken adventures!

From,
Rachel.
hugs.gif

From what I have read on here:

The new chicks can go up to 3 days without food or water. During this time the moma will get off the nest and show the chicks where food and water is and show them what to do. 

It is unlikley she will remain on the nest for much longer than 2-3 days after first hatch as her priority will change from hatching eggs to looking after the newborns, you may want to set up another arrangement in preperation for this should it happen.
ok so i should definately but out starter then today and a low water dish. Thanks. Will they be ok in the coop will the other hens and rooster? I have a total of 16 chickens

We are thinking about taking chick from mom. Raising it that way because we have eggs thatwere laid later and have a week or so. If we take the chick she wont abandon the next anyhow right?

I have a Buff Orp who is caring for 4 chicks hatched 10 days ago. She's really take care of them. I hear her softly clucking almost constantly. I think she's communicating with the babies. I admit that my setup is less than ideal. I let my flock of 4 out daily into a fenced area. The coop is predator proof but their yard area is not. It's just to keep them from going across the street to city hall. I have mom and babies particioned off in the coop. That's good for now since babies are so young but when they get a little older they will need to get out too.
#1-I'm worried how the rooster and other hen will treat the babies
#2-I'm wondering if mom will continue to control her babies
I just lost a hen to a predator so all I have left us mom, a Roo and a hen. Everything seems all unbalanced with my Tillie gone. A family emergency prevented me from preparing better for the babies. Still going through stuff so I'm forced to try to come up with a quick temporary solution. Just haven't thought of it yet. I don't want to loose any more chickens.

Back
Top Bottom