Hen survived hawk attack

heronchick

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
What do I look for of injuries. She had a bloody beak. She is standing. Drank some water from water nipple. Able to walk. Separated her from flock in dog crate with bedding food and water. Letting her rest.

The first thing to look for is outer wounds, if you haven't already. Check her over thoroughly for wounds, make sure there's not wounds hiding under feathers and such.

The next thing to look for is internal injuries that may have occurred. You say she is drinking and walking, which is good, but is she overall acting normal? Is she eating? Does her poop look normal? Separating her for monitoring is good, since if she has internal injuries the only way you can really tell is by her behavior, unless she starts bleeding from some orifice or something.

Does she have an injury to her beak? Or was she bleeding from her nose? How long ago did the attack occur?

Hope this helps!

I have a polish that survived a hawk attack. I arrived just in time and saw the hawk on top of her. I told it to let her go, and it did.

She had blood coming out of her nose, but it soon dried. I brought her to the local vet and they advised she was ok and to place her back with the flock.

You can have an xray done if you wanted, or you can wait and see. Keep her isolated at night and if she is acting fine, place her back with the flock. Do this for a few days. Give her vitamin/electrolyte mix, a bit of plain greek yogurt and any other treats she loves.

After our polish survived, I lost a my favorite roo and our houdan to a hawk attack. I have since built 4' tall lean to's near their coop and a few other places. These really help so much and I recommend them.

Every time a hawk is near, they all run under. My coop is also mobile, so they run under that as well, but the more cover, the better!

I have a polish that survived a hawk attack. I arrived just in time and saw the hawk on top of her. I told it to let her go, and it did.

She had blood coming out of her nose, but it soon dried. I brought her to the local vet and they advised she was ok and to place her back with the flock.

You can have an xray done if you wanted, or you can wait and see. Keep her isolated at night and if she is acting fine, place her back with the flock. Do this for a few days. Give her vitamin/electrolyte mix, a bit of plain greek yogurt and any other treats she loves.

After our polish survived, I lost a my favorite roo and our houdan to a hawk attack. I have since built 4' tall lean to's near their coop and a few other places. These really help so much and I recommend them.

Every time a hawk is near, they all run under. My coop is also mobile, so they run under that as well, but the more cover, the better!
My guinea hens go nuts and them the roosters go nuts and them the hens are all gone you can’t see a single one anywhere. I have lost a bantam, buff orp, and a red selling to hawks. Then I put cover, like you said, and they ran under that. It is such a useful thing to do and it’s dos not cost much to get a lean to or build a hutch for them.

Thanks everybody. Stressful but much better today. Thanks for the suggestions. Ruby did not appear to have any open wounds. Small scratches on face. Eye was closed at first, but seems pretty normal now, little puffy. The scrambled eggs were a hit! Hadn't given them before. Got unflavored pedialyte from rite aid and diluted by half per someone's post. Pooping fine, eating and drinking. Think I will let her rest comfortably one more night and put back with the flock tomorrow. You guys are great support! Thanks again!

Thanks everybody. Stressful but much better today. Thanks for the suggestions. Ruby did not appear to have any open wounds. Small scratches on face. Eye was closed at first, but seems pretty normal now, little puffy. The scrambled eggs were a hit! Hadn't given them before. Got unflavored pedialyte from rite aid and diluted by half per someone's post. Pooping fine, eating and drinking. Think I will let her rest comfortably one more night and put back with the flock tomorrow. You guys are great support! Thanks again!
I hate hawks

Back
Top Bottom