Hen tips back when tries to walk

PlentifulPrairie

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi I have a 3 year old hen who I heard fall off a roosting bar last night. I went out and sat her on a roost by a fellow flock mate, it was too dark for her to probably get herself back.

I checked on her via camera this morning she was fine but then I saw her back on the floor of the coop before letting everyone out. She seemed to not really want to walk. I brought her inside and gave her some food and water to observe her more. She only stands and doesn’t sit. She is taking small steps but her balance is off, if she takes too many steps she kinda tips back but she corrects herself. I have her in my garage with a buddy that’s going through a ruff molt figured they could each use the TLC and each others company. The tipsy hen is also molting but still is pretty fluffy.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Heidi

First thing is to give her a B complex tablet or capsule, or a super B complex (human ones) once a day, see if that helps. Molting birds sometimes don't eat well and can become deficient. When they have balance issues, that's the first thing to try. The B's are very safe, any extra will be excreted in droppings, so no worries about too much. Seems like just about every year I have at least one that needs the B's.

Back
Top Bottom