Hen very lethargic and pale comb

Yes she is missing a ton of feathers on her back that I assumed was from my rooster. And I saw something crawling on her head but she is not handled closely a lot. I am scared she is so weak she can’t make it. I’m running out of ideas!

Also head shaking and itching, but they have had a dust bath since I finished their coop. We have had a very wet winter and I think it making it worse. How do I fix it?! It’s killing me!

Yes she is missing a ton of feathers on her back that I assumed was from my rooster. And I saw something crawling on her head but she is not handled closely a lot. I am scared she is so weak she can’t make it. I’m running out of ideas!

Also head shaking and itching, but they have had a dust bath since I finished their coop. We have had a very wet winter and I think it making it worse. How do I fix it?! It’s killing me!
When was the last time she laid an egg?
I'm sorry that she is not doing well, do you have a way to separate her so she can recuperate without having to deal with the rooster? A large wire kennel works well in the run if you don't have another coop to put her in.

Once you have her separated, check through her feathers very well for any more active bugs that she may have - look under the wings, around the vent, her head, her ears etc.
Check her crop - how does it feel - empty, full, hard, soft, squishy - does she have a sour smell to her breath.
Feel the abdomen for any bloat, swelling or feeling of fluid.

Since she seems very weak, give her some poultry vitamins in her water or you can direct dose her with Poultry Nutri-Drench at 1cc per 3lbs of weight daily. See that she eats her normal feed, you can add some chopped egg, tuna or meat to entice her.

If possible, take a fresh poop sample to your vet for testing.

I have rooster booster in her water and I just scrambled some eggs to take to her and my others. I still can’t believe it has gotten this bad!

Also I have been trying to draw the ivertamicin in a syringe but whsre it’s a paste it won’t go? Lol I feel silly, but should I I give them a little more today?

Also I have been trying to draw the ivertamicin in a syringe but whsre it’s a paste it won’t go? Lol I feel silly, but should I I give them a little more today?
And her stomach did not feel weird or off yesterday. She is in the same shape! I really don’t know what to do!

I'm sorry she is not improving.
About drawing the paste into a syringe, you do have to fiddle with it, but it can be done:)

As for whether to give them a little more? That would be up to you, you want to weigh each chicken and give them the correct dosage, repeat in 10-14days - don't forget to observe an egg withdrawal period that you are comfortable with.

NOw she is getting wry neck! I gave her another bath in perithem and vitamin water with apple cider vinegar. I was so freaked out when I saw her. I just can not believe it.... I feel like the worst chicken mom

Are you treating her with vitamins? Vitamin E and the mineral selenium which is found in Poultry NutriDrench, eggs, tuna, and sunflower seeds, are useful in treating wry neck (torticolis, crook neck.) How old is she? Wry neck can be a sign of several consitions, including head injury, vitamin deficiency, and Mareks disease. I would start the drench or vitamins right away. Give egg daily if your vitamins do not contain selenium.

I have her on rooster booster and let her have an egg day before. I have been terrified of Maraks but the bald spot on her and head shaking is still making me think it’s mites and vitamin issues. I really am stumped on what to do. I buy the dumor organic formula feed and changed once to regular and they quit laying so I stopped. My others seem ok and we are planning and a massive clean this Saturday on the coop and I’m going to purchase a dog house for my broody girl to get her out of the coop. I just feel defeated and so frustrated it keeps coming. I dusted her tonight again on perithum dust or however you spell it. I am terrified where I have chicks coming and want everything healthy and now it comes, the weather is awful here and has been wet constantly.

Back
Top Bottom