Hen went lame in her right leg today help

FarmerJohn5626

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2015
Pomona CA
She's walking and standing on her hock she try's to stand on the foot but ends up standing on the lame foot she was fine yesterday, there is minor swelling no blister, and no wing droop, I lost 1 yesterday to wry neck i'm hoping somebody can help me figure out what this is I'm not in the mood to lose another one

Last edited:
Wry neck and lameness can be caused by vitamin/mineral deficiency. I'm not an expert but to assist those who are please give more details such as what hour chickens eat/treats they get/hens ages/do they free range/are they laying normally and any info on their poop and water/feed consumption. I hope you can figure this out and good luck!

They have 6 waters 4 gravity 2 bucket, 2 gravity feeders ones a 12 pounder ones a 3 pounder, those have lay pellets they eat when they want. they have a very large area to roam around on half dirt (the coop area) half grass and are allowed out to the main yard once a day today to spread their wings. The girls that are being affected the one that I just lost and this one are both 4 a half months old so they're not laying yet. And my entire flock gets one measured cup of scratch every morning as a treat along with whatever fruit or vegetable I have available at the moment

Last edited:
She's using the leg but more as a brace when she stands if she try's to put full weight on it like to walk it buckles and she ends up on her hock

Back
Top Bottom