Hen with broken wing

Nov 26, 2021
Hello! Last night I realised one of my hens was drooping her wings (left side significantly lower than right side). She is a ayam cemani bantam mix and roughly 4.7 months old (unsure if she is laying or not). Last night I put her in a nest box so that she would be undisturbed but she jumped out and onto the roosts.
She’s acting normal, eating normal, drinking normal - full crop currently. When she flaps her wings she can’t flap her right one. So I‘ve theorised that she has a broken wing. I’ve had other chickens like this who eventually healed but I’m wondering if there is something in particular I should do.
I can try get photos if needed

She now has a hurt leg. Left leg. She can’t walk too well (she still tries), she can stand though. I’ve separated her from my chickens and put her in a nest box with food and water. She’s a bit tired but eating normal, hasn’t drunk yet but she usually drinks it later in the day, still very vocal.

I think she might’ve fallen off the roost while trying to get up and hurt her foot, I can’t see any injuries so maybe it’s a sprain? I usually put her in a nest box on the roost so that she is undisturbed but she went in quite early yesterday and must’ve tried without me realising

One of our hens broke her wing last summer. One afternoon, it was suddenly hanging down, and she was walking around looking confused.

There are videos on YouTube about how to wrap the wing in a natural position and then wrap it gently to the body, not too tightly or loosely, watching not to restrict the crop on her chest or lungs on her back.

The wrap was the orthopedic vet wrap that sticks to itself and nothing else. It's in the horse aisle at farm stores, and it's cheap. She wore the wrap for 3 weeks. I replaced it every 2-5 days, depending on how good a job I did each time.

If you've been letting her roost with the others, it's not surprising she hurt her leg because they use their wings to lessen the blow when they jump down. We kept our hen in the house at night until she figured out her balance with a wrapped wing.

She was able to stay outside during the day because our flock isn't too worried about things that are different, so they treated her normally.

If you haven't wrapped the wing, imagine how much pain she's in--you really need to address this asap. For me, it was very nerve wracking learning to wrap a wing, trying to do it just right. I'm no vet! But with a lot of YouTubes and a few articles to make sure I wasn't screwing up, plenty of deep breaths and patience, I was able to get her well and flying again.

Also, after you have her wrapped, she can have something like 1/4 aspirin (since she's a tiny bird) for a few days to help with the pain so she's not in too much pain to eats and function. Don't give aspirin for more than a few days, though, because you don't want to thin her blood too much, and you do want her to remember to favor her wing and leg to help heal.

One of our hens broke her wing last summer. One afternoon, it was suddenly hanging down, and she was walking around looking confused.

There are videos on YouTube about how to wrap the wing in a natural position and then wrap it gently to the body, not too tightly or loosely, watching not to restrict the crop on her chest or lungs on her back.

The wrap was the orthopedic vet wrap that sticks to itself and nothing else. It's in the horse aisle at farm stores, and it's cheap. She wore the wrap for 3 weeks. I replaced it every 2-5 days, depending on how good a job I did each time.

If you've been letting her roost with the others, it's not surprising she hurt her leg because they use their wings to lessen the blow when they jump down. We kept our hen in the house at night until she figured out her balance with a wrapped wing.

She was able to stay outside during the day because our flock isn't too worried about things that are different, so they treated her normally.

If you haven't wrapped the wing, imagine how much pain she's in--you really need to address this asap. For me, it was very nerve wracking learning to wrap a wing, trying to do it just right. I'm no vet! But with a lot of YouTubes and a few articles to make sure I wasn't screwing up, plenty of deep breaths and patience, I was able to get her well and flying again.

Also, after you have her wrapped, she can have something like 1/4 aspirin (since she's a tiny bird) for a few days to help with the pain so she's not in too much pain to eats and function. Don't give aspirin for more than a few days, though, because you don't want to thin her blood too much, and you do want her to remember to favor her wing and leg to help heal.
I’ll see if I can get the vet wrap today, if not I’ll try use something else

Never wrapped up a wing before, how does this look?
7194F611-6BFF-4E8E-9201-3DF0A2F0A392.jpeg

She already seems much more calm. Not trying to escape as much, lying down and sleeping. Before whenever someone got close to her she’d try jump out of the crate, and she was looking around warily not sleeping

Back
Top Bottom